jandy rayvac not working well anymore....

Mar 30, 2008
Delaware
my 5 yr. old jandy ray vac (big white plastic diamond shaped pool cleaner) won't leave the deep end except on rare occasions, frequently gets stuck in a corner or half way up a wall (finally unstuck when the autoreverse kicks in), and lastly circles quite often.

I have called jandy, and they have been kind enough to send me, for free, many replacement parts, including all propulstion parts (except the hose).

I'm not sure if it is my hose. there are no obvious hose leaks, etc.

I'm at my wits end. the jandy rayvac is leaving my pool dirtier and dirtier by the day, except for the deep end where it lives most of the time.

the first few years it worked normal/great.

Anyone else ever had this problem.

please help??? :(

Did the small metal pressure ring fall out? Do you have the adapter with the pressure gage still? You should have about 20#.

Take the hose off the cleaning head and have someone hold it while you turn on the cleaning pump. What kind of stream is coming out? Put the cleaning head back on and have someone hold it out of the water and turn on the cleaning pump. There should be 4 jets of water coming out of it.

I would say you are not getting enought pressure. You might have to take the hose apart and fish a wire through each section looking for a blockage; from the metal disc to the screen. Next would be to take apart the reversing unit. Check it out and then hook up a garden hose and turn the water on (slowly and watch it operate.

Put everything back together and try it without the filtering screen in the cleaning head. Try some of these ideas and let me know what you found.

thanks for the reply.

took out the hydro timer (reverse mechanism) and the silver screen cylinder from within the propulsion hose - rayvac is superfast now, climbs walls, and spends equal time in deep and shallow end!

problem is that now it gets stuck in corners occasionally = back to nonclean pool when stuck all night.

put in hydrotimer again (i have 2 of them, 1 new, 1 original) - result is still faster, climbs walls too, but still gets stuck (as if both HT are bad?)

took apart both HT - neither seems defective, both turn, slowly, and some of the gears move easily/appropriately.

still a little lost, and vascillating between using HT and not using HT.....saga continues.

funny thing is this: the 2 items i removed are from a jandy troubleshooting tip sheet online (from jandy pdf), but in the 12+ calls i've made to jandy tech support, not a single tech support person suggested this experimental method!

Bob

I wouldn't run the unit with the small silver screen cylinder out of it. If gunk gets in the unit, you'll have more trouble.

On the jets of water coming out the back of the cleaning head, I should have said 6 jets of water, not 4.

Did you look for the silver pressure ring? I take it that it is still there.

Since you have a second hydro timer, I would work on looking at the old one and seeing if you can see what is wrong with it.

Hook a garden hose to the inlet side of the hydro timer; turn on the house water very slowly; and watch the gears on the timer work. Let it go an entire cycle and in to reverse.

safe to assume those are all there, as i've never taken apart the pressure unit.

i'm still tinkering with it, and will continue to update in a week or two once i know what my recent adjustments have done - put the silver screen back in (got some jets plugged without it) and put the reverser unit back in to see if it will still go up into the shallow end.....

The "Speed Adjustment Disc" is in the connection (quick disconnect fitting) for attaching the hose to your outlet on the side of the pool. There is only one disc in the connection. You look in the connection you will see it. The other 4 disc you have stored somewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.