Jandy DEL60 O-ring leaks after cleaning filter?

Jun 11, 2012
I have a Jandy DE filter (DEL60) and I'm pretty new to pool care. The previous owner told me to take apart the filter and clean the grids twice a year. So last year I took it apart and when putting it back together I realized the O-ring was seriously stretched. (Filter probably about 10 years old) So when I put it back to together the oring seal leaked pretty bad. I purchased a new one, and it was snug, and after lubing it up with silicone, the leaks were gone.

However, this year I go to clean it again and now putting it back together the leaks are back! The o-ring is snug as well, so it hasn't stretched at all. The guy at the pool store told me to beat the container ring firmly with a mallet as I tightened it down. I did this but still get some leaks when the pump runs. I'm on my 3rd try, so I thought Id ask for help before I take it down again.

Couple of questions for all you pros.

1. Are there any tricks to getting a good tight seal? I don't want to over-tighten the ring... Currently I coat the ring in a bit a silicone, place the ring on the bottom half, place the top half of the filter on carefully trying to seat it evenly. Then slowly tighten the ring as i try to make sure its evenly clamping down.

2.How much silicone should i be putting on this ring? Whats the method you guys use to apply?

3.Can I use just straight silicone from a caulking tube from home depot? The silicone from the pool store seems to be very expensive for the amount you get....

It sounds like you're doing it right. The ring is tapered, so as it get's smaller with tightening, it presses down harder, compressing the O-ring. When I reasemble mine - which is similar, but different brand - I squeeze the ends to gether with some big pliers, then start the wing nut. I don't use tools on the wing nut, just my hand, but I get it as tight as I can.

The whole O-ring should be coated enough so that it can slide easily as it gets compressed. There should be no grit, blades of grass, any debris at all in the channel or on the O-ring.

Stick with the pool lube. You don't want anything that might harden up.

I agree with using a rubber mallet to tap around the clamp. I do not have to use much force when tightening the clamp (some people end up breaking the bolt using too much force). The just tighten snug, tap around the clamp, tighten snug, tap, repeat ... and have no fear of breaking anything.

I would also agree to stick with an o-ring lubricant and not a caulk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.