Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Incandescent or Halogen Pool Light

1. Back To Top    #1

Incandescent or Halogen Pool Light

This is probably a dumb question. I am either going to get lucky and only need to order a bulb and gasket or will have to order a whole new light for my spa.

I know that I have this light http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/In-Grou ... 4008_I.htm

I know based on original owner documents that it's a 100w w/ 50 ft cord. I do not know if the light is incandescent or halogen (which are two separate options for 100w) I'm pretty sure it's a 120v and not 12v.

Any ideas or guesses as to how I can tell if I have a halogen or incandescent. Attached is an actual image of the light.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k
    Pool Chlorinator @ 80%; Filter from 11AM-6PM, Cleaner from 11AM-2PM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Incandescent or Halogen Pool Light

Can't tell for sure unless you pull the bulb out, but it looks like an incandescent. You probably just need a bulb and gasket.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Alright so I removed the light, its in all kinds of bad shape. Electing to just get a whole new light all together. In terms of searching for replacement lights, are spa lights generic from a size perspective? I had/have a Hayward Aqualite II 100w/120v. After removing the light it appears I have a hayward "niche" opening. I'd like to keep that opening and just find a replacement light that fits into that opening.

I guess what i'm asking is can i order most anything? Do I need to stick with Hayward? etc...
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k

4. Back To Top    #4

What's "all kinds of bad shape"? I'd be surprised if you actually need a new light housing. Can you post a picture?

If you do replace it, you need to get one that is specified to fit in your niche...they are not all the same.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Rusted out inside and the bulb broke off. I tried using needle nose pliers to move the remainder of whats left in the socket, and it is just twisting off. Also unfortunately when they installed it they barely left enough extra cord for me to place the light on the coping to work on it.