Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frogs

1. Back To Top    #1

Frogs

So, This Morning I went to check my pool while it is going through the shock process, and I checked the skimmer for debris and found sa frog in the skimmer. I tried to get him out but when I lifted the basket he jumped out and went back into the skimmer. I could not find him in the skimmer or pump basket. My question is how do you keep these thing away? If my wife sees a frog in the pool she may make me take the pool down.
    30K Gal 36'X54" AGP, Eco kleer 22 Sand Filter 55GPM, Installed June 2010, Waterway 1.0 Hp Pump (Installed April 2013), Taylor-2006 test kit, Previously Perma salt system, BBB Method from now on.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Frogs

The only way for you to keep frogs out of your pool is to create some sort of barrier that prevents their entry. Whether that is a cover, some sort of fence, or something else is really up to you. There isn't anything that you can add to your pool that deters them. Frogs like water.

3. Back To Top    #3

Years ago I pool-sit for my bosses house on a golf course. First time I went out the check after a day of 2 there had to be 20+ dead frogs in the skimmer ... not fun to clean up

They are pretty entertaining to watch swim around though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Frogs + pool = Happy frogs. It means your local ecosystem is still healthy
    I like seeing LIVE frogs around the pool - don't care for dead ones in the skimmer / pump strainer.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

You get used to it. Not the biggie bullfrogs tho. They still freak me out.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

But does it work?
    30K Gal 36'X54" AGP, Eco kleer 22 Sand Filter 55GPM, Installed June 2010, Waterway 1.0 Hp Pump (Installed April 2013), Taylor-2006 test kit, Previously Perma salt system, BBB Method from now on.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just get out there and remove em before the wife sees! Happens every year to us since we have a pond behind our fence. There are mornings I take out 4 or 5. Usually they are alive and swimming and I just scoop them out. Every now and then there is a dead one in the skimmer.

9. Back To Top    #9

For every one that you pull out, tell yourself "I'm glad it's a frog and not a (cottonmouth, rattlesnake, copperhead, etc.)". That'll make you feel better about it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I've got one but i had to extend the little swirly steps down a couple inches to be in the water, for my pool waters level. I've yet to see one hoop out of it, but we have them swimming in the pool so it's either that or they find another way out....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing