i want to change out pump

Aug 16, 2011
hey guys...
my pool is around 48,000 gal....3 skimmers... 3 jets...no water falls or any extras.

i think i want to change out my pump as its costing me too much electric to run and i have a feeling its under sized.
im not sure what pump i have now but here is a pic of the motor..its 1hp
i have a hayward sand filter s244s here is a pic.

what new motor or new pump do u guys recommend?

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 88
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 88
Welcome to TFP!

1 HP is fine in that situation.

What are your electric rates? If they are high enough, say over $0.30/kWh, then it is worth upgrading to a variable speed pump. For medium electric rates you might want to replace the motor with a two speed motor, and if your electric rates are low then it probably isn't worth replacing a working pump.

Another large influence on how much the pump costs to run is how many hours a day you are running it. It is quite possible that you could run the pump for a shorter time each day to save money.

As J said, unless your electric rates are way up there, I'd stick with the pump you have and start working on run time in order to moderate your final costs.

At 48,000 gallons that filter is small but I wouldn't change it either till something breaks.
Where are you located?

Ditto to the above. I'd give some serious thought to keeping the pump but getting a much larger filter. You are way undersized on filtration.

As JasonLion alluded, how long are you currently running the pump?

wow you guys are fast...im in Long Island New York.
i just checked last year summer bills, im at .19cents per kwh.
i run it at around 4hrs a day ,,,weekends about 8 hrs per day(more ppl using it)
so what is your final verdict??? leave everything as is or change motor or pump? do you guys know how many watts this motor is using?

Something that will give you a rating of around 80-100gpm. That'll give you a LOT more filtration and extend your time between backwash significantly. It'll also allow your pump to produce more flow (lower resistance).

On another note, you are not running your pump too much at all. What do you think that pump is costing you monthly?

The data plate in the photo shows 6.7 amps at 240V so that would be about 1600 watts depending on the power factor, this is worst case based on the data plate numbers, real world may be 10-20% lower.

i would guess the pool electric costs me about $100 per month during pool season...
is it possible u can give me model number of the 2speed motor i would need???
1600 watts is alot, isnt it?
what wattage would the 2 speed be?
do i have to add anything to put in the speed motor?? controllers or switches ??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
Is your pump wired for 115 volts or 230 volts?
The STS1102 is the 230 volt replacement 2-speed.

thats a good question ..i have no idea

so all i would have todo is swap out motors?? thats it?? and how does he 2 speed work? when is it high and when is it low?

i know now how to use the 2 speed motor...i did my HW...i would also have to get new timer or ti=his that would run anywhere from $130-200

or do you guys think if i get a energy efficent motor either 1hp or 2 hp ...i think ill should save about 30% on electricity...and if i do go for a 2hp i would get more water turnover and still be more efficiant than i am now

A 2 horse pump would use twice as much electricity, and unless your plumbing and filter are sized for the increased flow you will just be increasing the pressure at the pump without much increase in flow.

If anything you want to go smaller on the pump. A 2-speed is your best choice. As for controlling it, you can use a manual switch and run it on low all the time except when you need to vacuum, etc..

You will need to know if yours is wired for 115 or 230. Look at the breaker and if it's a single handle it's 115, if it's a double handle it's 230.

fiddlyd said:
ior do you guys think if i get a energy efficent motor either 1hp or 2 hp ...i think ill should save about 30% on electricity
Doubt it. Most high efficiency motors are only about 5-10% more efficient. Low speed of a two speed will save more than 50% in energy costs for the same turnover.

...and if i do go for a 2hp i would get more water turnover and still be more efficient than i am now
Things only get worse as you increase HP. A 2 HP pump is about 15% less efficient than a 1 HP in the same pump line. The 2 HP produces 10% more flow rate but it takes over 30% more energy to get that flow rate.

ok guys i got some more updtaes for you:

my pump is 220v and theres 1.5" plumming.
from pump/filter to the 3 jets is around 20-25 ft

being that my 3 jets are on the shallow end of the pool and the 2 skimmers r directly across the jets at the deep end (1 skimmer is in the shallow end) i dont see much water movement at the deep end.

i also called inyo pools and talked to one of their techs...i gave him all my info and he says to use a high eff 2 hp motor and that it would still be more effiecent than what i have and get more turnover. but if u guys say no then i wont......
this year i will not vacuum pool i am getting a robot for this. so i dont need the pump todo this for me.

That's typical of a pool store, suggest a big honking pump without taking the hydraulics of the system into consideration. I still say a 1 hp 2-speed will be all you need.

Do all the returns hook to a single line?
How far and what size is the suction side run(s)?

Bama Rambler said:
That's typical of a pool store, suggest a big honking pump without taking the hydraulics of the system into consideration. I still say a 1 hp 2-speed will be all you need.

Do all the returns hook to a single line?
How far and what size is the suction side run(s)?

yeah i agree with u on the pool store thing ...i learned not to listen to stores along time ago.

yes im sure the returns connect to a single line as i dont see 3 pipes coming out by the filters.
do u mean what size my skimmers are? not sure need to measure them. from pump to farthest skimmer is about i would say 50-60'.
this pool is 14yrs old btw and all the equipment is original

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.