Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i want to change out pump

1. Back To Top    #1

i want to change out pump

hey guys...
    my pool is around 48,000 gal....3 skimmers... 3 jets...no water falls or any extras.

i think i want to change out my pump as its costing me too much electric to run and i have a feeling its under sized.
    im not sure what pump i have now but here is a pic of the motor..its 1hp
    i have a hayward sand filter s244s here is a pic.

what new motor or new pump do u guys recommend?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: i want to change out pump

Welcome to TFP!

1 HP is fine in that situation.

What are your electric rates? If they are high enough, say over $0.30/kWh, then it is worth upgrading to a variable speed pump. For medium electric rates you might want to replace the motor with a two speed motor, and if your electric rates are low then it probably isn't worth replacing a working pump.

Another large influence on how much the pump costs to run is how many hours a day you are running it. It is quite possible that you could run the pump for a shorter time each day to save money.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

As J said, unless your electric rates are way up there, I'd stick with the pump you have and start working on run time in order to moderate your final costs.

At 48,000 gallons that filter is small but I wouldn't change it either till something breaks.
    Where are you located?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Ditto to the above. I'd give some serious thought to keeping the pump but getting a much larger filter. You are way undersized on filtration.

As JasonLion alluded, how long are you currently running the pump?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

wow you guys are fast...im in Long Island New York.
    i just checked last year summer bills, im at .19cents per kwh.
    i run it at around 4hrs a day ,,,weekends about 8 hrs per day(more ppl using it)
    so what is your final verdict??? leave everything as is or change motor or pump? do you guys know how many watts this motor is using?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Ditto to the above. I'd give some serious thought to keeping the pump but getting a much larger filter. You are way undersized on filtration.

As JasonLion alluded, how long are you currently running the pump?

what filter do u recommend?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Something that will give you a rating of around 80-100gpm. That'll give you a LOT more filtration and extend your time between backwash significantly. It'll also allow your pump to produce more flow (lower resistance).

On another note, you are not running your pump too much at all. What do you think that pump is costing you monthly?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

At 19¢ per kwh for electric you might save a little by swapping the motor out to a 2-speed of the same sfhp.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

The data plate in the photo shows 6.7 amps at 240V so that would be about 1600 watts depending on the power factor, this is worst case based on the data plate numbers, real world may be 10-20% lower.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

i would guess the pool electric costs me about $100 per month during pool season...
    is it possible u can give me model number of the 2speed motor i would need???
    1600 watts is alot, isnt it?
    what wattage would the 2 speed be?
    do i have to add anything to put in the speed motor?? controllers or switches ??

11. Back To Top    #11

Is your pump wired for 115 volts or 230 volts?
    The STS1102 is the 230 volt replacement 2-speed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Is your pump wired for 115 volts or 230 volts?
    The STS1102 is the 230 volt replacement 2-speed.
    thats a good question ..i have no idea

so all i would have todo is swap out motors?? thats it?? and how does he 2 speed work? when is it high and when is it low?

13. Back To Top    #13

i know now how to use the 2 speed motor...i did my HW...i would also have to get new timer or ti=his that would run anywhere from $130-200

or do you guys think if i get a energy efficent motor either 1hp or 2 hp ...i think ill should save about 30% on electricity...and if i do go for a 2hp i would get more water turnover and still be more efficiant than i am now

14. Back To Top    #14

A 2 horse pump would use twice as much electricity, and unless your plumbing and filter are sized for the increased flow you will just be increasing the pressure at the pump without much increase in flow.
    8.5k gallon IG pebble sheen play pool with Intellitouch control, Intellifo VF, IC 20, Rainbow tab feeder (not currently in use), Pentaire mystery cartridge filter with labels faded to the point I have no idea on the model, Intellibrite 5g LED light, Hayward Navigator. Adding IntelliPh and Crestron control next.

15. Back To Top    #15

If anything you want to go smaller on the pump. A 2-speed is your best choice. As for controlling it, you can use a manual switch and run it on low all the time except when you need to vacuum, etc..

You will need to know if yours is wired for 115 or 230. Look at the breaker and if it's a single handle it's 115, if it's a double handle it's 230.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlyd
    ior do you guys think if i get a energy efficent motor either 1hp or 2 hp ...i think ill should save about 30% on electricity
    Doubt it. Most high efficiency motors are only about 5-10% more efficient. Low speed of a two speed will save more than 50% in energy costs for the same turnover.

...and if i do go for a 2hp i would get more water turnover and still be more efficient than i am now
    Things only get worse as you increase HP. A 2 HP pump is about 15% less efficient than a 1 HP in the same pump line. The 2 HP produces 10% more flow rate but it takes over 30% more energy to get that flow rate.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

17. Back To Top    #17

ok guys i got some more updtaes for you:

my pump is 220v and theres 1.5" plumming.
    from pump/filter to the 3 jets is around 20-25 ft

being that my 3 jets are on the shallow end of the pool and the 2 skimmers r directly across the jets at the deep end (1 skimmer is in the shallow end) i dont see much water movement at the deep end.

i also called inyo pools and talked to one of their techs...i gave him all my info and he says to use a high eff 2 hp motor and that it would still be more effiecent than what i have and get more turnover. but if u guys say no then i wont......
    this year i will not vacuum pool i am getting a robot for this. so i dont need the pump todo this for me.

18. Back To Top    #18

That's typical of a pool store, suggest a big honking pump without taking the hydraulics of the system into consideration. I still say a 1 hp 2-speed will be all you need.

Do all the returns hook to a single line?
    How far and what size is the suction side run(s)?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    That's typical of a pool store, suggest a big honking pump without taking the hydraulics of the system into consideration. I still say a 1 hp 2-speed will be all you need.

Do all the returns hook to a single line?
    How far and what size is the suction side run(s)?
    yeah i agree with u on the pool store thing ...i learned not to listen to stores along time ago.

yes im sure the returns connect to a single line as i dont see 3 pipes coming out by the filters.
    do u mean what size my skimmers are? not sure need to measure them. from pump to farthest skimmer is about i would say 50-60'.
    this pool is 14yrs old btw and all the equipment is original

20. Back To Top    #20

I was talking about the piping from the skimmers to the pump. I assume it's 1½" too?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast