Evacuated tube thermal solar

Apr 18, 2013
Hello, Im hooking up 3 panels. 5' x 8' of evacuated tubes for my panel. There are being located on the roof of a building housing the pump, filter, etc. for an inground pool that is 35' x 14' freeform style. My question is related to the piping specifically. Will I need a vacuum breaker or a vent at the top of the panel piping on the return or supply. I am assuming i need to drain these panels when the pump is off to avoid boiling the water off , etc. I will pipe them so they can gravity drain back on the return side but just need some proven advise. I plan to add a check valve on the supply side after the pump to the panels. I dont have an automatic 3 way valve at this point, just planning on open and closing valves to panels and playing with the bypass valve for proper flow over panels. So, my biggest question is just regarding a needed vacuum breaker or vent? I live in southern ontario, canada. My pool is a salt water, fibreglass inground pool. Filter is a cartridge filter with a pentair 1hp pump. All piping is 1 1/2" pvc shed 40 pipe within the pump and filter now. Thks for any help

Welcome to TFP!

You typically put a vacuum breaker on the supply line. You should not put a check valve on the supply line, instead put the check valve between the filter and the point where the solar supply and bypass lines split off from each other. Then put a second check valve on the solar return line near the bottom. That will allow the panels to drain when the pump is off and prevent them from pressurizing when solar is turned off and the pump is on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.