Question about powerline above pool

Apr 18, 2013
Hello all,
I have an old pool here in California, I'm in the middle of a re-plaster job. Last weekend I had my entire deck, including concrete patio. I'm in the process of re-piping all the water pipes, and the electrical to the pool. I'm doing this in steps, and plan to work on this for a few months. My house was built in 1963, I think the pool was built a few years after. The pool was made by a company called MASTER POOLS here in southern California.

The pool has an old flush deck box where the pool light is connected to. I'm having electricians come out to give me quotes on rewiring the pool lite, pool pump, a couple of external outlets in the back yard and a pole mounted light near the pump service area behind a brick-wood combo wall.

My pool is behind my garage about 15 feet away from the house. My electric panel is right in the middle of my house if you measured from end to end. The problem is that my electrical service is right above the pool. The electrician and I measured from the pool deck and it is about 15 feet above the pool deck. He recommends that the service to the house from the pole located on the corner of my yard , the corner where the pool is located, be moved to a different place. He also went on to say that here in Southern California.

Question 1) isn't this setup grandfathered in, or must I move the service power line to a different location?
Question 2) if I open my project to inspectors, which I need to make sure that the pool lite gets properly connected, will that also open up my project to inspection for the service power line over the pool.

I want to keep the cost of the project as low as possible, and I'm getting many quotes from many electricians.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
LarryF_In_So_Cal

Welcome to TFP!

If you are getting an inspection, you need to move the electrical supply. Since you are adding a pool light, you are most likely supposed to get an inspection. You might be able to find an electrician who will do the work without requesting the required inspection, but sometimes the inspectors find out that work is being done and show up anyway. The details (requirements and risks) vary somewhat from place to place, so I can't be certain of the exact situation where you are.

The minimum required distance for overhead conductors, according to the NEC, above the pool water is 22½' so you're already less than that.
Since you're having a replaster job done you've most likely already had to have a permit of some sort, so the city knows there's work going on and could surprise you at any time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.