Direction of Returns--Circulation

Apr 17, 2013
Sherman, TX
Just bought a foreclosure last year and inherited the neglected swamp-of-a-pool out in the backyard. I was extremely nervous about trying to get it back in useable condition (I'm as new as a newbie can be!) until I came across this site. I now have hope of the "sparkling blue oasis" sometime in the near future.

However, when starting up the equipment to make sure everything was functional (it all is, thank heavens!), I noticed the circulation to be far less than ideal. The skimmer was picking up basically no surface debris whatsoever. So I angled the returns a couple different ways with some varying results, but still ended up with what appeared to be some major "dead spots" no matter how I seemed to angle them. I've tried lots of combinations, but I'm not convinced that I've actually had good circulation with any of them.

I know that ideally, they shouldn't be pointed too much toward the surface anyway, but I'd really like clear up the surface a bit without having to snag every little stray blade of grass with the net. After that, I'll angle them down a little more to circulate the deeper water. But especially then--when I'm shocking the heck out of this thing--I want the circulation to be as good as can be.

So, I've attached a somewhat crude and a little embarrassing diagram of the pool.

[attachment=0:niv08o3o]Pool Diagram.gif[/attachment:niv08o3o]

It should be noted that it's 3 ft. sloping to 6 ft. in the deep end. Even if the diagram is a little too rough for specifics, even general advice in getting good circulation out of this configuration would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your help!

~ Tony

Attachments

• Pool Diagram.gif
    Pool Diagram.gif
    34 KB · Views: 145
Thanks!

Yes, it does have a weir . . . and it seems to be functioning properly because I once aimed return "A" straight at the skimmer and it trapped a good bit of debris. But that of course left a terribly stagnant dead spot in the southwestern corner there, so I figure that can't be ideal for circulation.

~Tony

Sometimes it just takes some experimenting to get the best skimming action that you can get. My pool is much smaller than yours. It also has a total of six returns and two skimmers and yet, I still have sports that just don't seem to really move despite my best efforts. One thing to remember is that the lower the water level is in relation to the opening of the skimmer, the better skimming action you will have. Mine does best when the water level is no higher than about a third of the depth of the skimmer opening.

Try to aim the returns so the water moves in a consistent circular pattern. Counter clockwise water movement seems easiest with your setup. I would aim return A just a little towards the wall so it bounces off in a way the encourages debris to go into the skimmer. Return C can be aimed to help keep the steps clean. Return B should be aimed sharply towards return A and down towards the deep end to promote water mixing.

When everything is setup correctly you will see floating debris running around the pool in a circle with no obvious dead areas.

duraleigh said:
Actually, I think it is a terrific diagram. What software did you use?
Thanks. Believe it or not, I just put it all together using the shapes utility of Microsoft Word.

As for the circulation, I'm going to try what Jason's suggested here. It makes a lot of sense to go counterclockwise, I just wasn't sure if I'd run into problems trying to defy the Coriolis Effect. I'll also lower my water level a little, too. I had it a little higher than normal to help loosen the gunk along the waterline.

I'll give it a try and let you know how it works for me. Thanks for all your help!

~Tony

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.