Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover Worth It?

1. Back To Top    #1

Montgomery, AL

Solar Cover Worth It?

Thinking about getting a solar cover for my 18' AGP. Just wondering....does it really make a difference? Also, how hard is it to deal with? Would love to hear 'yays' or 'nays' either way.

18' X 48" Intex Ultra Frame AGP, approx. 6,400 gallons
    2650 Intex Sand Filter
    Intex SWG (w/ copper unplugged)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Solar Cover Worth It?

If you are trying to keep your water warm, then yes, having a solar cover on, especially at night, is very helpful.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mandeville, Louisiana

I live in South Louisiana. We just built our pool last fall and purchased a solar cover about 5 weeks ago. We manually put it on every night. It takes about 3 minutes to put it on and take it off. I believe it helps a lot. Our pool temp today hit 82% despite a low last night of 65%. My neighbors pool is only at 72% but he has a lot of shade and no solar cover so I cannot be sure how effective it is. I am swimming and he is not so I am happy!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

4. Back To Top    #4

Buckeye, AZ 85326

I would say the trouble of the solar cover is worth the return you get. My pool is a solid 8 - 10* warmer than my friends pools. Which puts us in the pool a month earlier than most people around our parts.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Definitely worth it. Handling it with a larger pool can be challenging, but overall it's well worth it. The biggest benefit as everyone says is overnight. Also if you're heating the water, having it covered will help retain the heat.
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]