Horizon Signature Reel sturdy enough for 16 mil Solar Cover

bjornk

Aug 1, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Hey, I'm looking at buying a Reel & a 16 mil solar cover, and going through the jungle of trying to figure out which reel I need...

Anyone have experience with using the Horizon Signature Reel with a 16 mil Solar Cover? I obviously want one that's sturdy enough not to start sagging in a year or so...

When calling a few of the pool companies they all recommend the Rocky 3A reel, which I'm sure is a great reel but it's also $420, and you can get the Horizon Signature for basically half that... I saw in the Q&A for the Horizon HV2000 on PoolSupplyWorld that they recommend that reel for a 16mil, and seemingly it's about the same as the signature structurally, all-metal with 4" aluminum tubing only the 2000 is more expensive than the Signature

The pool is approx 33x18 avg, or about 35x22 measuring the max dimensions...

Should I splurge for the Rocky, or is the Signature good & sturdy enough? Or the HV2000?

Thanks!

Re: Horizon Signature Reel sturdy enough for 16 mil Solar Co

I can't speak for that reel, but I would consider a thinner and therefore lighter (and likely cheaper) solar cover since regardless of thickness, they tend to last about the same amount of time.

I read some people saying that, but the thicker blankets aren't really that much more expensive, and if I'm gonna do the work of using a cover & I'll get a few extra degrees out of it I'd rather do that, plus the thicker blankets have better warranties...

Anyone else have experience with any of these reels?

bjornk said:
and if I'm gonna do the work of using a cover
Quite a bit more work with a significantly heavier cover.

bjornk said:
I'll get a few extra degrees out of it I'd rather do that
Most of the energy retained is due to reduced evaporation not the insulating value, so thin is a good as thick for this.

bjornk said:
plus the thicker blankets have better warranties...
Be careful assuming a warranty means a longer life and that they cover something meaningful...most warranties I have seen just cover the seams and delamination and not the most common failure...the bubbles coming off.

...just my 2 cents :blah:

A thicker blanket means a longer warranty. Go with a thinner blanket and a cheaper reel. All blankets do the same thing, they prevent the transfer of heat from the pool to the atmosphere above it. Thicker blankets just have a longer warranty. Good luck getting any of them to honor a warranty. We purchased a blanket about five weeks ago. We put it on and take it off manually. It takes about three minutes to do so. The reason I did not buy a reel is I have no place to store it. And for your information, a solar blanket has helped me quite a bit. My temp is 82 and my neighbor is at 76.

linen said:
bjornk said:

bjornk said:
Most of the energy retained is due to reduced evaporation not the insulating value, so thin is a good as thick for this.

bjornk said:
Be careful assuming a warranty means a longer life and that they cover something meaningful...most warranties I have seen just cover the seams and delamination and not the most common failure...the bubbles coming off.

Ok, so are people on the forum who have used the thicker solar covers typically saying that you don't gain anything heat or lifetime wise? Maybe I'll compromise & settle for a 12 mil, which should still be sturdy, a little bit lighter and then I should at least be able to use the Horizon Signature reel without problems?

Only thing I'm still wondering is how thick does the entire roll of cover get when reeled in? Using my example of a 35ft cover @ about 12mil? The Horizon Signature is "low profile" and according to the description '14 1/4" clearance with castors.', but the manual says it's "for solar covers up to 20' by 50'" of course not specifying at which mil thickness that is, then again the Rocky 3A is also low profile and apparently only has a ground clearance to underside tubing of 9.5", which sounds like that would be less than what the Horizon Sign would be...

I'm just trying to figure out how low to the ground the cover would be when reeled in, since I don't want it scraping against the decking when moving it around...

bjornk said:
linen said:
bjornk said:

bjornk said:

bjornk said:

Ok, so are people on the forum who have used the thicker solar covers typically saying that you don't gain anything heat or lifetime wise? Maybe I'll compromise & settle for a 12 mil, which should still be sturdy, a little bit lighter and then I should at least be able to use the Horizon Signature reel without problems?

Only thing I'm still wondering is how thick does the entire roll of cover get when reeled in? Using my example of a 35ft cover @ about 12mil? The Horizon Signature is "low profile" and according to the description '14 1/4" clearance with castors.', but the manual says it's "for solar covers up to 20' by 50'" of course not specifying at which mil thickness that is, then again the Rocky 3A is also low profile and apparently only has a ground clearance to underside tubing of 9.5", which sounds like that would be less than what the Horizon Sign would be...

I'm just trying to figure out how low to the ground the cover would be when reeled in, since I don't want it scraping against the decking when moving it around...

I use a 12Mil......I do not keep it on the pool long - as a matter of fact its already off- only because I don't have a roller and I hate messing with it. Due to my water features and other things- a roller just don't work well.

HOWEVER- to give you some kind of Idea....when I hand roll mine the diameter of the bundle is approx. 1.5 Feet. My cover is 36 feet long.
This may help you knowing your pole diameter and you can figure out your clearance. :lol:

I have one of the relatively inexpensive plastic reels that Leslie's sells (came with the house). It's somewhere between 5 and 8 years old and still works well. I've used a couple different thickness covers on it, up to 12 but never 16.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.