Middle Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
After several discussions with local electrical inspector, I do realize that I will need to use pool rated transformers and bond any landscape lights within 5' of the pool. I will need to bond 1 waterfall light and 1 set of landscape lights as well as my fence. Currently, the pool bonding comes back to a ground rod near the pump. My question is this: What is the best way to connect these and do they have to be connected to the bonding wire that goes around the pool (which is currently under a few feet of gravel and dirt)? Do I bring each #8 AWG back to the ground rod or can I use split bolts to connect and then bring 1 wire back? I understand the equipotential bonding somewhat but am a little confused as to correctly bond these other items.

Thanks so much.

First, landscaping lights are not allowed within 5' of the pool anywhere that I have ever heard of. I suppose there exist inspectors that might approve them, but it is against code.

To bond something you need to connect it to the existing bonding wire using #8 copper and listed connectors (typically split bolts). Ideally you should do this at the closest approach of the wire that runs around the pool. While there is certainly some leeway to use a less direct route to a more distant connection, going too far away from the closest plausible connection is discouraged. Again, different inspectors will decide routing questions differently, with some being far more forgiving than others.

While connecting a grounding rod to a bonding system is not explicitly prohibited, it isn't required either and is not normally done.

When in doubt, ask the inspector. They know the local rules and they get quite a bit of leeway to interpret the rules as they see them.

Jason, thanks. I was a bit confused about the 5' and I do see in the code regarding the requirements. My only concern is a light (water use) that I have on edge of coping lighting a waterfall. How can I create the light effect that I would like to have in order to highlight this feature at night. I can post pics if it would help with any suggestions.

Ksnewman said:
Jason, thanks. I was a bit confused about the 5' and I do see in the code regarding the requirements. My only concern is a light (water use) that I have on edge of coping lighting a waterfall. How can I create the light effect that I would like to have in order to highlight this feature at night. I can post pics if it would help with any suggestions.

Ks,
You could go solar if you are worried about breaking code or don't want to deal with bonding. If you are dead set on bonding the light and having it close to enough to hit the waterfall I would call a electrician on this one. I could ask my uncle if he uses light around the water falls and what he does. Since he is a landscaper and makes the big flat rock water falls he may know or how to help you on this one or just give him a call since you know him.

Jerry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jkurl said:
Ksnewman said:

Ks,
You could go solar if you are worried about breaking code or don't want to deal with bonding. If you are dead set on bonding the light and having it close to enough to hit the waterfall I would call a electrician on this one. I could ask my uncle if he uses light around the water falls and what he does. Since he is a landscaper and makes the big flat rock water falls he may know or how to help you on this one or just give him a call since you know him.
Jerry

Jerry, Thanks. I may call him. When I spoke with the inspector, he just told me that anything within 5' of the pool needed to be bonded including lights and use a pool rated transformer. I am going to revisit and see what else my options are. I have seen photos of waterfalls into pools and lighting within the waterfalls and I am fairly sure they aren't the fiber optic ones so I am stumped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For waterfall lighting an underwater rated light is normally used. They will be sealed so that splashed water does not affect them and will have the correct bonding connector. You need to look for something that is suitable for both submerged and above water applications, as regular underwater lights will not work above the water line (they depend on water for cooling).

Technically, the light must actually be underwater if it is within 5', but some inspectors will give you leeway on that.

Thanks. I am sorry, I didn't clarify that I do have a submersible/waterfall light on the waterfall which I will be bonding. As for the low voltage lighting - clarification, inspector did say it had to be over 5' from pool. My biggest concern was the waterfall light so we are good! Just have to bond the fence sections.

Thanks for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jason,

I wonder if this is true for all water fixtures for example a fish pond w/ a water fall. I know for a fact my in-laws lights are not 5ft away from the pond. I would think the two lights I linked would not have to be the 5ft away since they are underwater lights but it would be the inspectors call.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

What is the difference in having the pool lights and having a waterfall light next to pool and using a pool rated transformer. I am just trying to follow the logic as to why one is acceptable and other is not. Thanks for the education.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.