Fixing some things up..

Apr 17, 2013
Hi all,
I am new here and fairly new to pools. Long story short, I have a 24' round above ground pool(48" deep). It has been out of commission for last two years and is drained(again long story) Basically I bought a new liner, an Intex salt system and updated brushes and such. I thought while it was drained and I am changing the liner I might as well change sand in filter as well. I went to find a model number and I can't find it marked anywhere. The people I bought home from left the manual but it has four different models listed and none of them are check marked. I am trying to figure out how much sand to buy/add. Is there a way to figure out which model I have from inside? Or measuring the outside or Something?
Also I have watched some youtube videos on changing liner and it doesn't look all that hard with at least two people, am I wrong to think that? I can't find a local company that service above ground pools. Thanks in advance for any help/information you can give!

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Many, perhaps most, of us here never change the sand. It is a good idea to open your filter and clean the sand but there is no reason to replace it. It should be around 2/3 - 3/4 full.

Thanks for the reply and welcome!
While I have heard/read that you shouldn't change the sand, I have also heard/read you should change it every 3-5years, 8-10 years, and if it gets a lot of nasty things going through it. While there probably is no "correct" or "incorrect" here, I would like to satisfy my need to change the sand and it's driving me nuts not being able to figure out which model number/how much. I just can't believe they didn't engrave it somewhere or something knowing it would be in weather/sun/rain/kids messing with it/etc. I should have posted this info in my original post but here it is..

It's a Ranger Series sand filter by: W Cooper Industries (Gray with a blue stripe around center) Manual lists these options:
RS-1615 16" 1½" valve
RS-1815 18"
RS-2115 21"
RS-2520 25" 2" valve

Thanks again for any info on this!

The last number in the model numbers is the O.D. of the filter. Measure the filter and you'll be able to figure out the model. For a pool the size of yours it should be the 25" model. There are actually 2 models of the 25", the 2515 which has th 1½" valve and the 2520 which has the 2" valve.

Bama Rambler,
Thanks for the information. I am only guessing by "O.D." you mean outside diameter and if that is a correct guess how would I measure exactly? Would I run a tape measure around the tank in a cylinder? Measure the top angel(looking downward)? Do I measure vertically? Sorry for my ignorance here but this stuff is all new to me and I am trying to learn for future reference. Also, you mention a model 2515 with a 1½ valve. This one isn't listed in my manual. Is it safe to assume that's Not my filter?

Yes. Outside Diameter.

You could measure around it and divide by 3.14157 to get the diameter. Or just eyeball it from the side (after all there is a 3-4" difference).

The valve size does not matter as the canister would be the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.