Keeping water clear when there is heavy pollen

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
I am in Atlanta and this time of year there is a huge amount of pollen in the air. Everything outside is coated with a yellow dust. Even running my pool filter 24 hours a day, the water is still cloudy, and I assume this is from the pollen. I am wondering if I should just turn off the filter, wait for the pollen to seffle to the bottom and then vacuum it up.

Any ideas on this?

Get skimmer socks and keep the skimmer going longer than normal. I think pollen can stain the pool surface. I noted someone here in Houston had a new grey quartz pool that was stained by pollen. I suggest not letting it settle.

You can always stretch some panty hose over the old skimmer basket or install a poolskim. I run mine a LOT more than necessary this time of year, add water, and backwash when I need to. Be sure and keep your FC up-------pollen is organic and will consume it. It's a fight every year I know.

I've never seen so much pollen here in Texas. Oak trees just keep dropping. Skimmer is clogged each day I get home. I scoop out one full net of it each day and 30 minutes later pool is covered again. Net weights about 20# when I pull it out. Not "that" much work as long as it ends soon.... I was just curious if it effect chemistry. My FC seems to be dropping faster than normal since it started dropping, wonder if the pollen is "soaking it up".

TomAtlanta said:
The pollen is filtered out by the sand filter isn't it? Why is a skimmer sock needed?

I love my skimmer sock! I figure it saves the pollen reaching the filter and then later requiring backwashing out. This would save me water (replacing that backwashed out water) as well as my labor and time.

My skimmer socks collect large amounts of the fluffy wet yellow pollen. I just try to make sure I change them out daily and rinse them out for reuse.

TomAtlanta said:
The pollen is filtered out by the sand filter isn't it? Why is a skimmer sock needed?

Yes, but, as you see, your pool is not clear. The sand filter can chew up the debris but it takes time to turn it all to clear liquid. At this time of year you should give it a hand and remove that debris before it gets into the filter.

Those look pretty cool. How fine is the bag that comes with the Poolskim? Finer than a leaf net? I like the idea of working off an inlet fitting (I have 4)... can be moved to the downward wind direction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.