Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: At what point should you resurface your pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

At what point should you resurface your pool?

And what role does this play? Is it just something that improves the overall look of the pool or is there some structural quality associated with a resurface?

Is that the gunite showing?

1988 installed, 45,500 Gal, IG, Gunite w/spa
    60 sqft DE Filter, Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP WF-28 pump, "Shasta" infloor cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: At what point should you resurface your pool?

I can't wait to see this one done!
    24,000 20x42 double roman end in ground pool being built. Start date june13, 2012.
    Finished July 4th, 2012, sports pool, vinyl,SWG, DE filter, fountains. Heat pump,
    First Pool Ever!

3. Back To Top    #3

I think a thorough cleaning will make a huge difference with this one. Pressure washing the shell and refilling it, then keeping your chlorine on the high side for a while, will probably make it much less objectionable. Do you know how long it's been empty?

Resurfacing is really just an appearance thing...the pool will work just fine regardless. I like the pool...I don't think I've seen 2 sets of steps before.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    I think a thorough cleaning will make a huge difference with this one. Pressure washing the shell and refilling it, then keeping your chlorine on the high side for a while, will probably make it much less objectionable. Do you know how long it's been empty?

Resurfacing is really just an appearance thing...the pool will work just fine regardless. I like the pool...I don't think I've seen 2 sets of steps before.
    I drained it. So maybe empty for a week or so.
    60 sqft DE Filter, Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP WF-28 pump, "Shasta" infloor cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would start pressure washing everything and then put a sump pump in the deep end to get it all out.

It can make a huge difference (did it when we first bought out swamp). The plaster was in really bad shape with chunks missing and look a lot better when cleaned up ... a few years later we finally decided to resurface as it was a little rough.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the reply. The plaster on my pool had an awesome bond. I have no cracking at all, just looks like it has worn off.
    Power washing is okay? I've heard mixed opinions about it...

7. Back To Top    #7

Well you may not want to put the high powered nozzle right by the surface, but you can certainly use it to clean most of the algae/dirt off.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Have you checked your water table? Where are you located? Are you worried about it popping?

After looking at the pictures it seems like it would take a lot of pressure to pop that out of the ground. And that is one of the coolest looking pool designs I have ever seen. A baby pool, play pool, and diving pool all in one! If it were mine, I would replaster, new glass waterline tile from http://www.lightstreamsglasstile.com/Pages/default.aspx, all new decking and coping, and a whole new pool pad with a really large cartridge filter, new pump, and one really large SWCG! I cannot wait to see what you do with this!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA
    Have you checked your water table? Where are you located? Are you worried about it popping?

After looking at the pictures it seems like it would take a lot of pressure to pop that out of the ground. And that is one of the coolest looking pool designs I have ever seen. A baby pool, play pool, and diving pool all in one! If it were mine, I would replaster, new glass waterline tile from http://www.lightstreamsglasstile.com/Pages/default.aspx, all new decking and coping, and a whole new pool pad with a really large cartridge filter, new pump, and one really large SWCG! I cannot wait to see what you do with this!
    haha, so you're saying I should just throw $30,000 at it? Anything else?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by BauerR
    haha, so you're saying I should just throw $30,000 at it? Anything else?
    Swim-up bar?
    1992 15X30 14000 Gal IG plaster, Pentair 011018 - Intelliflo VS Pump with Timer, 350 lb Sta-rite hrpb30 sand (yeah, the 32-bolt clamshell)

11. Back To Top    #11

It is way too cool of a pool to do anything else! I cannot wait to see what you do. Please post pictures of your progress. Good luck!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

12. Back To Top    #12

Being the cheapskate I am, and guessing the powerwashing idea would do wonders to the looks...I would power wash it then get some water in their and let' see what it look like.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA
    It is way too cool of a pool to do anything else! I cannot wait to see what you do. Please post pictures of your progress. Good luck!
    Haha, well, the dump of a house I purchased along with this pool is in the same condition. The house is the priority right now.

Honestly, I'm hoping to fix some tile, clean it up and throw some water in it..for now. Praying that gets me by for a couple of seasons till I can give it the time, money ,and attention it deserves.

14. Back To Top    #14

Looks like you got a heck of a swingset with the deal though
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden