Sucked up a metal house key with Vacuum

Apr 17, 2013
Don't ask me how, but yesterday a metal house key got sucked up by my Hayward Navigator. Obviously, as soon as I realized this, I shut off the pump and checked the pump basket. No key found. I don't think there's any way the key could've fit past my pump basket and gotten into the DE Filter, so I assume it's trapped in the plumbing between the pump and the vacuum inlet. So, since I know the key is stil in the system somewhere, rusting in my salt water pool, any ideas what to try in order to find it? Advice much appreciated. Thanks!

FYI - My vacuum has its own port and valve, separate from the skimmer.

I assume you checked inside the unit and all the hose sections? If not, I'd start there.

If it is past that and in the underground plumbing somewhere. You can try taking the lid off the pump basket and sticking a water hose in the suction port inside the basket using a rag to seal it off and try to force it back out using water flow from the hose. If that doesn't work you might try taking a shop vac and sealing the hose to the fitting in the pool and try sucking it out that way. If you have a leaf blower you can try using it in the pump basket and try to blow it out with air pressure.

The key's probably made out of brass or stainless steel. So a huge cloud of rust is unlikely. But fishing with a magnet is also out. I'd check the hose real carefully. If the valve can be disassembled, open it up.

And then treat it like the nickel the kid swallowed and wait for it to pass through. The pump strainer will catch it if works its way through.

Bama Rambler said:
You can try taking the lid off the pump basket and sticking a water hose in the suction port inside the basket using a rag to seal it off and try to force it back out using water flow from the hose. If that doesn't work you might try taking a shop vac and sealing the hose to the fitting in the pool and try sucking it out that way. If you have a leaf blower you can try using it in the pump basket and try to blow it out with air pressure.

If you try this and have isolation valves on your suction plumbing, isolate all of the suction lines other than the one that applies to your vacuum (skimmer or cleaner port). If it's a cleaner port with a spring loaded cover, you will need to prop it open or keep a section of hose attached.

As others said, it probably won't do any harm and will likely pass eventually to the pump basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.