Filter clogs way too quick

bs2100

Apr 17, 2013
First off, my pool was neglected for a long time (about 9 month) and it was a swampy mess. I'm trying to clear it up now but I'm having a lot of trouble with the filter. I have all the chemicals right except stabilizer and calcium hardness but I can't do those due to the filter issues. My pool is a VERY cloudy blue right now. The filter is a hayward c1200 cartridge.

So I started off doing what every guide on the internet says to clear a green pool which shock and everything, but instantly I had this problem with the filter. It was brand new on Saturday and ran for about 30 minutes before it needed to be cleaned off. I cleaned it off and it instantly went back to high pressure and needing to be cleaned again. I basically couldn't run my pool equipment with a filter in it due to instantly shooting up to like 25-30 psi. I asked the pool place near me what to do and they recommended a hose attachment that let me blast the filter from the inside with the hose. This made my filter go down to the original 8-10 psi like it was brand new. Within about 10-15 minutes just going by the skimmer it clogs up and if I use the crawler to get the bottom of the pool it clogs up even faster.

Last night I put flocculant in the pool to try to get everything to settle and then just vacuum to waste but when I woke up this morning the pool looks the exact same and I can't see the bottom to vacuum to waste.

Am I doomed to just 10 minute cleanings for a week straight to get this pool back in shape or is there something I'm doing wrong with the filter?

Your filter is doing its job, but I'm sure it's a pain. I'd vacuum to waste without being able to see. Anything you get out of the pool will help. You may want to consider a second cartridge to help you keep up with it.

If there is stuff floating in the pool that is getting though the skimmers to clog the filter, you could add a skimmer sock. You'd have to check it and clean it a lot if it was catching stuff like leaves or such but that is less debris into the filter. If it is just the dead algae and flocc that is plugging the filter us, this won't help, of course.

JohnT said:
Your filter is doing its job, but I'm sure it's a pain. I'd vacuum to waste without being able to see. Anything you get out of the pool will help. You may want to consider a second cartridge to help you keep up with it.
I have an older filter that should be fine if I clean it all the way. Would an acid or TSP bath help at all really? From what I can tell I have to soak for long periods of time so it'd be like 10 minutes of running with 6 hours of soaking. I'd really be fine if I could just hose it down normally but I end up spending like 10-15 minutes of hosing down the filter and less than that with it collecting, so if I clean one filter the other might be like 30psi by the time I'm done.

anonapersona said:
If there is stuff floating in the pool that is getting though the skimmers to clog the filter, you could add a skimmer sock. You'd have to check it and clean it a lot if it was catching stuff like leaves or such but that is less debris into the filter. If it is just the dead algae and flocc that is plugging the filter us, this won't help, of course.
There's nothing really big floating like that. If I ran the pump 24 hours I'd need to clean the basket out like 7 or so times but nothing really big is getting to the filter.

Before I added the floc I could see chunks of white stuff floating at all depths, which I'm 99% sure is dead algae. I can't see that anymore so many there's something else floating. I really regret neglecting the pool now lol.

If there is a disadvantage to cartridge filters, it's that they clog (do their job) quite quickly in a really junky pool. You'll just have to bite the bullet and keep cleaning.

As an aside, I hope you are still KEEPING YOUR FC AT SHOCK LEVEL or you will be cleaning the junk from your pool forever.

bs2100 said:
I have an older filter that should be fine if I clean it all the way. Would an acid or TSP bath help at all really? From what I can tell I have to soak for long periods of time so it'd be like 10 minutes of running with 6 hours of soaking. I'd really be fine if I could just hose it down normally but I end up spending like 10-15 minutes of hosing down the filter and less than that with it collecting, so if I clean one filter the other might be like 30psi by the time I'm done.

The TSP removes oils and other biological components in preparation for an acid soak. The acid primarily cleans minerals. Probably not useful for your situation.

bs2100 said:
There's nothing really big floating like that. If I ran the pump 24 hours I'd need to clean the basket out like 7 or so times but nothing really big is getting to the filter.

Before I added the floc I could see chunks of white stuff floating at all depths, which I'm 99% sure is dead algae. I can't see that anymore so many there's something else floating. I really regret neglecting the pool now lol.

If you are finding debris in the pump basket, then there is some finer stuff that is getting to the filter. I think you should get some skimmer socks because they will intercept that debris and a lot more, they are pretty fine mesh. Emptying the skimmer and rinsing the sock is so very much easier than breaking open the cartridge filter and washing carts.

You install socks on the top side of the skimmer basket, so it sits inside the basket. To clean, you first dump any big debris, then get a bucket of pool water and dunk the skimmer & sock upside down to rinse the sock out. You may need to give it a squeeze to release any trapped air under the sock when you replace the basket if the skimmer basket is light enough to float due to that bubble. Or add a big rock to the basket. Or replace the skimmer basket for a heavier grade when you get the chance, as I did.

You can use Knee-Hi stockings in a pinch, if you skimmer baskets are up to maybe 6" diameter, I'll guess. My skimmer baskets are about 8" across so I have to buy actual skimmer socks from a pool store or online.

Have you been using your pool leaf rake to catch debris on the bottom of the pool? It takes a lot of chlorine to convert leaves to liquid! Best to scoop them up with the pool rake.

I would recommend you put your pool specs/equipment into your signature so we can easily see what we are dealing with equipment wise. If I know this filter, you don't have a way to vac to waste if this is an inground pool?

Dave is right, it's constant cleaning. Its a necessary pain. Maybe purchase a 3rd cart that can be rotated and go ahead and give the old one a TSP and/or acid soak (who knows if it is clogged with stuff prior to your outbreak).

I agree with everyone above. And will just provide a couple suggestions and links.

1. Read Pool School to understand the chemistry (button at upper right of page)
2. Order one of the recommended test kits if you do not have one already (see link my signature)
3. I am not sure what you definition of "shock" is .... this is ours and this is what you need to be doing: Shocking Your Pool
Also see:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
4. Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Welcome to tfp, bs2100

Your C1200 filter is only 120 sq. ft. which we would only recommend for pools smaller than 8000 gallons. What kind of pool do you have and what is it's volume?

Bottom line for you, if your pool is substantially bigger than 8000 gallons, then that filter will need to be cleaned often while clearing your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.