Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suggestions for best *reusable* CYA Skimmer sock

1. Back To Top    #1

Suggestions for best *reusable* CYA Skimmer sock

As the title suggests I am looking for suggstions on an inexpensive reusable "Sock" for dissolving cya in my skimmer basket.
    I used old (yes, clean) sport socks last year but I am looking for something more durable and permanent.

Thanks In Advance.
    18' X 36' Inground Pool 26,000 gallons. SuperMax 27mil/27mil Vinyl Liner-Installed Fall 2011
    Pentair Intellipro Programable Pump (Model 011018) // Pentair S8M 500 Cartridge Filter // Circupool RJ45 Salt Chlorinator
    2 Hayward Skimmers // 3 Returns // 2 Savi Melody Pool lights // TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suggestions for best *reusable* CYA Skimmer sock

Old panty hose. I use the some nylon sleeve for drainage pipe. Had a roll from a project and just cut a piece when I need it.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

I've been using the same old sock for 8 years.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Does the fabric of the "sock" matter? A cotton tube sock or a nylon/spandex pantyhose make me think it wouldn't matter. How about a larger "bag" like an old pillowcase?

I am attempting to dissolve my CYA in a 5gal bucket, but seems like it isn't working, so I'm thinking of putting an old pillowcase over the mouth of the bucket and straining the remaining undissolved stuff out. But then, can I hang the pillowcase in the vicinity of the skimmer?

Thanks!
    Jaimi
    =====
    13500 gal, 24' round AG vinyl, 2 HP Waterways pump (2-speed), 150 sq ft cartridge filter 120gpm, installed 4/5/13
    Solar blanket that needs a crank system soon! Hayward electric heater, Aquatrol SWG
    Separate 300gal comfort spa, cartridge filter, bromine floater, installed 2002

5. Back To Top    #5

The fabric doesn't really matter. A pillow case is a little to fine a weave to work well but it would eventually dissolve through it.

Dissolving CYA in a bucket has been tried before and never works. It's best to put it in a sock or stocking and hang it in front of a running return. barring that you cna put the sock in the skimmer, but the return works better.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, Dave. We thought the tight weave on the pillowcase might be problematic. Now, only trouble is how to get it out of the 5gal bucket! We'll get through it - Jaimi
    =====
    13500 gal, 24' round AG vinyl, 2 HP Waterways pump (2-speed), 150 sq ft cartridge filter 120gpm, installed 4/5/13
    Solar blanket that needs a crank system soon! Hayward electric heater, Aquatrol SWG
    Separate 300gal comfort spa, cartridge filter, bromine floater, installed 2002

7. Back To Top    #7

We put our CYA in the skimmer, let the filter trap it, and then it dissolved and released into the pool? What is the advantage to the sock idea?

Also, I thought CYA didn't evaporate away, is it something that needs to be added often? eg, what drives the need for a re-usable dispenser (aka sock)?
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by davelinde
    We put our CYA in the skimmer, let the filter trap it, and then it dissolved and released into the pool? What is the advantage to the sock idea?

Also, I thought CYA didn't evaporate away, is it something that needs to be added often? eg, what drives the need for a re-usable dispenser (aka sock)?
    If someone is in the process of clearing a green swampy mess, there's a good chance they will need to backwash a clogged filter before all the CYA is dissolved. So it would be wasted.

Also, it is acidic, and it's probably not such a great idea to have it dissolving inside the filter without any flow diluting it.

If you run the filter 24/7 and don't need to backflush for a week, it probably makes no difference.

If it's hanging in a sock, it's easy to tell when it's all dissolved as well.

CYA doesn't evaporate, but it can get lost to splashout and backwashing. Sometimes it disappears over the winter - not sure why, it doesn't get that cold where I live - so that would require more. Also some people drain the water down below the skimmers before the pool freezes, so they need to add more CYA when they refill on opening. And then there are those who have an intex or whatever that they take down every year. I have to do partial drain and refills to keep the CH levels in check, so I lose CYA every time I lower the CH.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

There have also been reports of it solidifying in the plumbing and causing clogs, so it's better to take the precaution of letting it slowly dissolve in a sock.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

JohnT has me beat, but I am on a 4 year old sock (of the sweaty variety) that has been used on my pool and my neighbors pool every year (he is always behind me in getting his cya up to snuff...of course on my coaxing).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    I've been using the same old sock for 8 years.

12. Back To Top    #12

I have been reducing my SWCG output and adding pucks to raise my CYA.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    There have also been reports of it solidifying in the plumbing and causing clogs, so it's better to take the precaution of letting it slowly dissolve in a sock.
    oh... that is not good. I told DW this. She says our CYA is around 55 at the moment and she wants it higher so she put another pound in a sweat sock in the skimmer. I forgot about that... Today I opened the skimmer and thought that floating sock was some kind of bloated, dead animal and jumped out of my shoes! (actually I was barefoot at the time but...)
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

14. Back To Top    #14

Just one vote for the 'dump it in the skimmer--no sock' approach. My returns are pretty low on the wall and my water is free, so I dump about 6000 gals. every close to get below the returns, then put back 3k in the fall and the rest in Spring. So I add CYA every open this way (since 2006) and I never have a problem. I do run filter at high speed 24/7 for three days at the open so this may help.

I know I can blow lines with returns underwater, but that water is COLD! This is much easier given free water (low calcium, zero-metal Artesian mountain well--they do exist!).
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.