Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Inconsistant CYA test results from Leslie's and other store

1. Back To Top    #1

Inconsistant CYA test results from Leslie's and other store

First off, I ordered a TF100 Test kit and I'm waiting for it to arrive, so I've been having my water tested at Leslie's and another local pool store since opening my pool for the first time. (Just moved in last summer)

I had my water tested at Leslie's last week and they said my CYA was 100. So then I did a big water change (Don't know how big but I timed the garden hose run time at 6 hours ). Then I had the water tested at the other store and they said the CYA was 58, then I had them test it yesterday and they said 55.

Then today Leslie's said it was still at 100?!?!?

Where is there error here? Who's right? I don't want to mess with anything till my CYA is in order.

Thanks!
    30K gal, 18x40 IG vinyl, 2 Speed 3/4hp Pentair Superflo Pump, Hayward S-244T Sand filter, BBB, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Inconsistant CYA test results from Leslie's and other st

I wouldn't place much faith in the store testing, especially CYA. I had a store tell me that that a freshly filled pool had a CYA reading of 80. Bottom line - trust the TF100. In order to keep records for my pebbletec warranty (and partly for sport) I go once a month and have store testing performed by three different places. But, I always trust my TF100 readings for calculating adjustments
    18,000 Gallon IG, Pebble Sheen, Quartzite coping
    Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter, 2HP Silencer, 400,000 BTU Heater, Platinum Legend Cleaner
    2x IntelliFlo VS pumps - Screenlogic Interface - Stenner 45MPHP10 15 Gal Bleach Injection
    TF100 + PoolCalculator + This Site!

3. Back To Top    #3

When it comes to chemicals, don't trust the pool store. In fact, as soon as you get your test kit, just stop going to the pool store.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

This is a classic example of why we don't trust pool store testing. At this point it's impossible to say who's right or if either of them are.

If you're lucky your water hose puts out about 8 gpm, so 6 hours would be about 3,000 gallons or about 10% or your pool. At best that would have lowered your CYA by 10% so if it was 100 ppm it would now be 90 ppm. My suspicion is that Leslies is closer to right showing still above 100 ppm, but you have no idea how much above 100 it is.

You'll have a much better understanding of all your levels once you get your test kit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

The CYA turbidity test is one of the hardest tests to run, and from what I have read here works best when done in the correct conditions by the human eye. The right conditions are outdoors with the sun to your back so the tube is shaded held so your looking down at it from about 2 feet above (your looking for the point when the black dot is no longer visible), thankfully you can pour the solution back and forth for several minutes until you get to just the right point. Even at the best of times there is still going to be about a 10% margin of error, trying to read it indoors under incorrect lighting and all bets are off, I can tell you from experience that it reads different outdoors when there is direct sunlight vs when the sun momentarily goes behind a cloud.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    The CYA turbidity test is one of the hardest tests to run, and from what I have read here works best when done in the correct conditions by the human eye. The right conditions are outdoors with the sun to your back so the tube is shaded held so your looking down at it from about 2 feet above (your looking for the point when the black dot is no longer visible), thankfully you can pour the solution back and forth for several minutes until you get to just the right point. Even at the best of times there is still going to be about a 10% margin of error, trying to read it indoors under incorrect lighting and all bets are off, I can tell you from experience that it reads different outdoors when there is direct sunlight vs when the sun momentarily goes behind a cloud.
    Good info, thanks
    ..this test has been driving me crazy.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Last week, I measured 80ppm CYA with the TF-100. Leslie's told me 30. When I told the guy my results differed drastically, he told me perhaps my test strips were old, ha.
    17,000 gallon in-ground plaster (circa 1985) | Tagelus 60 Sand Filter | Whisperflo WFE-3 3/4 hp (1.25HP/1.67SF) | 1.5" plumbing, 17psi normal | TF-100 Test Kit | Liquidator

8. Back To Top    #8

I got my TF-100 and it looks like my CYA is 70-75. I'm looking forward to not having to rely on the pool stores for testing.
    30K gal, 18x40 IG vinyl, 2 Speed 3/4hp Pentair Superflo Pump, Hayward S-244T Sand filter, BBB, TF-100