Pressure

Apr 16, 2013
I need to know if you can help me with a question I have about my pressure. When I start my pool up in the summer my pressure gauge reads at about 10 psi, but I get a lot of air when my main drain and both skimmers are open. I use the recommended amount of d.e.. But when the pressure gets to about 18-20 psi I can ope all 3 and no air bubbles.
When it is at 10 psi the pressure of the water coming out of the return is huge and you can't even be next to the return it almost hurts on the skin..Do I need to increase my amount of d.e to start up at a higher psi. Can't figure out how to keep the psi at 18 or above because if I try to backwash it goes back to 10 psi and I have to run the pump along time to get up to 18 psi.....
Thanks
Jim

Welcome to TFP!!!

Adding extra DE will not lower the water flow like you hope. 10 psi is your clean pressure and we normally suggest cleaning when the pressure goes up 20-25% (by 13psi in your case) If you have too much flow, then you may need a smaller pump, which will also save you money on electricity.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us better help you.

Welcome to TFP!

You don't want the pressure to ever be 18, you want to fix the source of the air bubbles so you can backwash the filter at 13 or 14 psi.

When there is less restriction on the filter side of the pump there is actually more suction on the skimmer side of the pump. What is probably happening is that the additional suction is either causing the skimmers to draw in some air (which can be solved by raising the water level a little) or it is opening up a suction side air leak that seals it's self at lower suction levels (which takes some investigation to pinpoint).

Thanks for your responses....this all started when I replaced my pump motor. For i have 10 years I always started my unit up at around 15-18 psi and never had that much force from the return water. I replaced with the recommended motor...thought it was the same motor ...
I have a Whisperflo 1 1/2 Hp pump, Sta-Rite S7D75 D.E. filter , with a Sta-Rite multiport valve 14964-0014'
Pool size is Tru-L 16x32x28..shallow end 3 1/2 ft. Deep end 8 1/2 ft.

I think you need to get to the root of your issues, why are you getting air bubbles (leak?, too much suction in the skimmer creating whirlpools?, etc) also if the pressure is too strong on the return, do you need to reduce it by installing a larger size of eyeball fitting which will reduce perceived pressure, but not reduce flow? I ask because this reads like someone is saying "My car is too fast unless I load the trunk down with lots of bricks"

I didn't know there were different size eyeball,will look into...when I had my pool built my builder always opened and did so at 18 psi...so that is always where I kept it...then when I changed the motor out as I said startup was at 10 psi. That was last year and I just dealt with it but noticed when it reached 18 it instantly ended.

Well if your clean pressure was 10 psi, we would suggest you backwash. Our recomendation is the backwash when your pressure goes up 25% (12.5 psi in your case).

It may be fine now at 15 psi, but it isn't "fine" since once you backwash the filter you will be back at 10 psi. You need to find the source of the bubbles on the suction side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.