Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover thickness?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover thickness?

Hi all, need to purchase a new solar cover this year and didn't realize that there's different thickness, mil?
    So need some advise on what mil to purchase?
    Pools a 18x33 agp with a solar reel incase it matters, let me know what you guys think and thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover thickness?

Cheapest you can find. They all seem to have a short life regardless of the thickness.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok great
    I was worried about the straps from the cover reel ripping the cover at the points where they attach to the cover if covers too thin but if you guys don't think it matters then I am definitely ok with the cheapest one I can find, found a few for pretty cheap on the big auction site

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmm .. you raise a point I had not considered regarding pulling the cover onto a reel ... I am not sure how the straps attach.

Perhaps we should wait for further comments.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

The straps should be connected over a fair length of cover, not at just a narrow strip, and not have any problems even with thinner covers.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I've had the best luck with 12 mil covers, particularly those made by Midwest Canvas. They are handled by several retailers, but I bought mine on Amazon.

Lighter covers didn't last, and I don't think I'd want to mess with a heavier cover.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you all!
    One more question... Is it better to stay under a certain mil for pool reels?