Tile replacement

Feb 25, 2013
The narrow strip of tile around the edge of the pool has been slowly falling apart and I've been picking the tiles out of the pool. They were installed over top of the plaster and I've removed the majority of them to prevent them from stopping up my vacuum and was wondering if anybody had a rough estimate of what it typically costs (maybe on a per foot basis) to have tile put in around the perimeter, not counting the cost of the tile, which I can look up readily enough. I imagine it is something I could do myself if need be but would probably have done if it can be done at a reasonable cost.

With a perimeter somewhere around 100 feet (and this is a stab in the dark) $1500 might be reasonable. I have done that job on a smaller scale and the old thinset will likely have to be ground down so the new tile won't stick too far out into the pool. It is VERY labor intensive. Installing and grouting the tile is probably 20% of the work...prep is probably 80%.

duraleigh said:
With a perimeter somewhere around 100 feet (and this is a stab in the dark) $1500 might be reasonable. I have done that job on a smaller scale and the old thinset will likely have to be ground down so the new tile won't stick too far out into the pool. It is VERY labor intensive. Installing and grouting the tile is probably 20% of the work...prep is probably 80%.

In actuallity, the old thinset is coming off fairly easily and I would definitely be doing that work myself, particularly since that is the most time intensive part and I am definitely qualified for that sort of unskilled, grunt labor. I think that they either used the wrong material, applied it incorrectly, or something else as I cam pretty much get most of that to flake off with a putty knife except for in a few places. In some places it looks like they are held in place by something more closely resembling a silicone type material as if the previous owners did a little unknowledgeable DIY to repair some of the missing tiles. If 80% of the work was prep and I did that myself would that mean I could probably get the actual tile installation done at under $500 provided the quantity was at that 100 feet that you estimated ( I can definitely scale that up or down once I get a chance to measure the actual perimeter).

duraleigh said:
I am not qualified to price it very close. It's time to call a tile man in and have him give you a quote.

I realize that you can't give an accurate quote without knowing a lot more info and I greatly appreciate your input thus far. I don't really need an accurate quote, really just a ballpark figure as I'm mainly going to take that number and tell it to my wife who's been hounding me to look into this at a time when we really don't have the cash currently to have it done anyhow. I came on here to avoid having a tile guy waste an hour out of his day to come when I know it isn't currently in the budget to have him do the work. I figure the folks posting on here are already killing time, just like me. :D Thanks again for your input, I may just tell her I talked on the phone to a guy who does tile and he said it owuld be in the ballpark of $1500, which should discourage her sufficiently for now until we get those other items taken care of.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.