Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help, Pump went out

1. Back To Top    #1

Help, Pump went out

first off this will be my 3rd season with my 1st pool. I have a 24k vinyl pool with 3 jets and 1 skimmer. with a 3/4 hp Hayward super pump with a Hayward pro flow sand filter ( model s244t ). the bearings went bad in my pump so I decided to just replace them. unfortunately I apparently had a bad leak on the wet end of the motor and the endbell is trashed . this brings me to my question . I originally thought I would just get a replacement motor for the 3/4 hp super pump. ( service factor of 1.0 btw ) but today the guy across the street told me he is filling in his pool he has a 1hp super pump II (service factor of 1.5 ) that he just bought last year. he told me I could have the pump for $100. would this be a wise decision? and how much more energy would this use? I don't want to save a few bucks on a pump only to spend way more on my electric bill! any help is appreciated.

Jerry Joe
    24k - IG - vinyl - Hayward pro flow sand filter ( s2447 ) - Hayward 3/4 hp super pump - 3 jets and a skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help, Pump went out

Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE so that we may better offer advice.

The reason I ask is that if you have a long season, then your filter seems a little small.

While that is a good deal, it will certainly be using more power (Mark may be able to give a better idea of the relative costs to run).

Given no apparent high flow needs, I would recommend a 3/4HP 2-speed motor, as running on low will save a lot of electricity. You should be able to get a new 2-speed motor and seals for <$300. The larger pump will certainly use a LOT more power than the smaller motor on low speed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help, Pump went out

thanks for the quick response! i live in central Arkansas and i kind of thought the filter may be a lil small myself. i didn't know that I could use a different motor on the pump than the one that was one it. I did buy a GO kit for it so i already have the seals . unfortunately i don't know that $300 would be in the cards right now. we just had a baby and money is kind of tight right now. but i will look around and see what i can find. i know i can get the same motor that is on there now for about 140. would that be a better idea than the super II?
    24k - IG - vinyl - Hayward pro flow sand filter ( s2447 ) - Hayward 3/4 hp super pump - 3 jets and a skimmer