Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Overwhelmed with Flotsam

1. Back To Top    #1

Overwhelmed with Flotsam

Just bought a home with a pool surrounded with trees that are currently dropping "tons" of floating pollen and leaves that is overwhelming the skimmer. I have to empty it every hour. What can I do besides cutting down the trees (which the HOA won't be too crazy about)?
    10K gal. IG, Mini-Pebble, cartridge filter, 2-speed 1.5 hp, refurbished 4/13, Hayward Navigator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Overwhelmed with Flotsam

I have the same problem. I just spend half an hour every day raking the worst of the debris manually to keep the skimmer basket from being overwhelmed.
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

3. Back To Top    #3

You could get a Pool Skim, or similar device. That would give you somewhere between two and four times the leaf/debris capacity.

If you have a main drain, make sure the main drain is turned on so the pump doesn't starve for water when the skimmer is full.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks btolley. However, for me as soon as I finish raking, it's like I wasn't even there. It's extremely winding here this time of year and everything is blooming.

JasonLion - I viewed a few YouTube videos on the PoolSkim. Do you think it will draw the floating pollen into the basket? It's extremely buoyant.
    10K gal. IG, Mini-Pebble, cartridge filter, 2-speed 1.5 hp, refurbished 4/13, Hayward Navigator