Levelling with 2" of concrete?

Apr 16, 2013
I am thinking of purchasing the pool discussed here and on the Intex website it suggested levelling with 2" of concrete. Do you think that's necessary? I am in Indiana, if that makes any difference in regards to the concrete, but I am assuming that I will need to take this pool down each winter, also suggested by the Intex website. Do you think it's worth it to take down and set up each year??? I'm not afraid of a hard work, I just wonder what the time investement is to do that. An afternoon = fine. A few weekends = not worth it. Your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Welcome! :)

I don't know about the concrete, others will be along. I do know that lots of people treat the intex like any other above ground and leave it up year round.

Hi Dan - Here's what the Intex website says about leaving the pool up all year: We recommend storing your pool during the winter. Your pool is designed to be easily emptied and stored in a dry, warm place. If you choose to leave your pool up year round in areas where freezing temperatures occur, there is risk of ice damage. It is recommended to drain, disassemble and store the pool in a dry, warm place when temperatures drop below 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0 degrees Celsius)

Hi Dave - Here's what the Intex website says about levelling: If the area is grass, the ground must be prepared for installation. We suggest you dig and level the ground by pouring a layer of 2" concrete. If you don't want to concrete your ground, you must hire a contractor for the ground preparation (see owner's manual).

I don't mind tearing the pool down and setting it back up each year, if it's something I can do in about a day. That would be worth it to me to extend the life of the pool. Especially since I'm considering the model that comes with the wood grain look enclosure. I will be paying a rather large markup anyway for esthetic appeal, but it would be worth it if I can make the pool last for several years. Even five years would be ideal. Regarding the levelling, I've read a lot about people using foam, and I think that sounds ideal. I've also seen a lot of videos where people just place a tarp over the dirt. However, I'm not sure why the Intex website suggests concrete unless it has something to do with the wood grain enclosure model???? Thanks for your replies!!!

Concrete would definitely give you a very good base to set the pool on, but very very few aboveground pools are set on a concrete slab. It'll be just fine on a properly prepared sand base with pavers for the legs. I also wouldn't worry about taking it down every year unless you live in a very cold place. However taking it down and putting it back up is about a days job once you get it installed the first time.

Thanks Dave! I keep researching online, and I found some YouTube videos that showed just the concrete pavers like you describe, so I think that's the way to go. I live in Indianapolis, IN. Our winters can be rough. Considering my location, do you think I could get away with leaving it up year round? I assume that if I do leave it up, I should drain it and cover it really well? Thanks again!

Yes, I keep reading through the posts and it seems to be pretty evenly split. I worry more about the wood grain enclosure mostly, as that's the most expensive part of this pool, and I'm not sure you can purchase that seperately as a replacement part. The enclosure is plastic with a wood grain look. Also, I've read some negative reviews about the enclosure fading. I plan to keep it covered when not in use, so hopefully that will mitigate any fading, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to add extra protection, like some type of sealant/protectant??? Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Considering your location I don't think 2 inch concrete would hold up for long, for most residential applications most people suggest a 4 inch minimum thickness for sidewalks, etc, however 2 inches is considered the bare minimum.

Isaac-1 said:
Considering your location I don't think 2 inch concrete would hold up for long, for most residential applications most people suggest a 4 inch minimum thickness for sidewalks, etc, however 2 inches is considered the bare minimum.

Agreed, I don't think you'll get away with 2" and not severe cracking. Especially with the weight of a pool on it. If you are going to do a pour anyway, make it at least 4", the added concrete shouldn't that much more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.