Pool water feels slick

Jan 23, 2013
Kingwood, TX
A couple of days ago, I decided to get in the pool to try to do a better job brushing the floor despite the water being 72* :shock: (still too cold for my liking). While in the water, and after getting out, I felt as if the water had a slick/slimy feel to it. Does anyone else's water feel this way? I test my water and clean out visible organic debris daily, unless I'm at work (24 hour shifts). Here are my most recent test results:

FC-7.5
CC-0
PH-7.8
TA-110
CH-220
CYA-60-70 (still having trouble pin pointing a good number, its lower than it was before my partial drain and refill, but still high for a non swg pool)

Water condition: clear and sparkling thanks to you guys, and very proud of it. :-D

I always shoot for a target FC of 9. Recently, my FC level dropped to 5.5 after a rain storm while I was at work. Since then, occasionally I get small patches of green areas on the walls/corners of my pool that look like dust when they are brushed and come off very easily. Im assuming its algae. I see this maybe once a week. I have yet to do an overnight fc loss test, and my CC is always 0. Based on the numbers that I see on a regular basis Im confident it would pass the overnight test, but maybe Im wrong. I will try to do an overnight test tonight, but I guess until then Im just curious if anyone else has experienced this/is there a problem that Im not considering such as algae in the water, filtering issue, or FC being kept a little too high?

Thank you for your help.

I think if FC was too high, it would feel exactly the opposite - squeaky clean, like a fresh scrubbed tub or countertop. It sounds like you've got a very low level algae bloom. Because you're maintaining a correct FC for your CYA level, you're keeping it in check. Run the OCLT, but my guess is that it will fail and you'll have to shock it.

msgtdan said:
Seems I've read that the OCLT is best done at shock level.
I've heard this too, but I thought of an issue....(mods, if this is too much of a hijack, please move me to a new thread)....

The FAS-DPD test has a margin or error of 10% of the final reading above 10 drops. Lets say your shock level is 15. If you're doing an OCLT, you could take a reading of 17 at night and 15.5 the next morning. This result would say to keep shocking, but in this situation you'd still be in the margin. To take it to an extreme, you could plausibly have an actual FC of 16, but due to the measurement error, you could read 17.5 at night and 15.5 in the morning (when in actuality there is no change!).

I guess my point is, why would doing an OCLT at a maintenance level be any less or any more valid than the test at shock level? It seems to me the overnight consumption would be the same regardless of the starting level (assuming that there is something living in the pool). If you're completing the shock process, it's a different story. But if you're not, this would prevent someone (like the OP) from using a bunch of bleach to get up to shock level only to find out that there was nothing wrong in the first place.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the replies. The green patches had me thinking that I needed to probably shock. I'll run the test tonight and report back my results. Has anyone ever experienced this slick water feel due to a low level algae bloom? Hopefully it will go away if I do infact need to shock.

Thank you
Jeremy

Finally got around to doing the overnight FC loss test. My test results showed no change over night. I guess I'm gonna do a backwash and add fresh DE and see if there are any changes. Maybe the water felt different due to being cold, or maybe we are just use to community pool and water park water. Not sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.