2nd Year TFP Rookie just opened AG in Wilmington, NC

I just opened the pool this week, and here are my numbers:
    CL-13
    FC-0
    TC-13
    CYA-35
    TA-80
    pH-7.5
    CH-well, my well water is so bad, we know its out of whack, so I don't even measure it anymore...its in the 480 range. Between my well water, and the initial use of all the bad chemicals before BBB....but its a vinyl pool.

Upon opening, there was almost zero CYA, so I added that via the sock method. Seemed to come out ok. The water is clean and clear...and 67 degrees by the way....gotta love SE North Carolina. No leaves or debris. Any chemistry suggestions? My CL levels were high because before the CYA got into the water I was having to keep it elevated, because it was dissipating so rapidly, we had a stretch of summer weather here, and the sun was doing its thing on the chlorine with my initially low CYA. I'm letting CL settle down a tad, I know they're a bit elevated. I need to bump up my TA a bit, baking soda and acid to offset the pH shift? I'll head to the pool calculator. At any rate, this is the first year in 5, that I haven't come out to an utter swamp.....like I had last year. I wanted to let you all know, how much I appreciate this, because it frees up my time to do other projects. Might even have a Kegerator for my homebrew out there near the pool this year. Thank you all very much, and if you have any feedback on my water, I'll come and check that out!

Tom
    9400 Gallon Above Ground, Vinyl Liner, 20 foot round, 4 feet deep 2 filter cartidges one Type B in the skimmer, and a C-50 hayward in the big box, 1/2 Horsepower Dynaflo Pump. TF100 Test Kit, well water, clean with Iron used for filling (CH of fill water is 450).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2nd Year TFP Rookie just opened AG in Wilmington, NC

I'd leave things alone for now.

You should check CH, just to know. It is a factor in calculating the CSI. Your pool won't care if CH is low, but it can still get scaling if it's too high, and you won't be able to use a steel brush on the vinyl!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Richard. TA might be ok, if anything it may need to come down.
    And it's pretty clear that you're no longer a rookie!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

CH-460

I'l leave things be for awhile then, if you all think the TA is ok. The Pool is OPEN!!!!!!
    9400 Gallon Above Ground, Vinyl Liner, 20 foot round, 4 feet deep 2 filter cartidges one Type B in the skimmer, and a C-50 hayward in the big box, 1/2 Horsepower Dynaflo Pump. TF100 Test Kit, well water, clean with Iron used for filling (CH of fill water is 450).

5. Back To Top    #5

I just did a search for Wilmington and found you. Thought it might be nice to know there's another BBB guy around here. Btw I brew as well. Where do you live? I I'm near Pine Grove and Greenville loop.
    12,000 gal, AG, Sand Filter (Hayward S220T), 1 HP single speed
    TF-100
    Wilmington, NC

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry it took so long, been pretty busy. I live near the airport, and I also brew. I get my supplies at Wilmington Homebrew on Wrightsville Ave. In fact, its time for another batch. BBB is awesome, and I have saved bundles of money. My pool water is crystal clear, and if I do mess up, I know how to fix things now. I also know everything about my water. I love this site, and have learned a great deal here.

Tom

7. Back To Top    #7

Congrats Tom !!

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Jeff, I've been enjoying a troublefree pool since I found this site. Unbelievable how much money I blew before I started doing my own water testing. By the way Pezzdog. I get my chlorine (aka Bleach) at Sam's Club on College Rd. You should see the looks I get at the check out line when I bring up 5 cases of Bleach once or so a month. "Are you cleaning today?" My reply, "Yep, I'm cleaning water thoroughly." I just got done swimming with my dog Risky, crazy dog loves the pool.

Vid Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaZ69VK4 ... gpumg-Xc1A

9. Back To Top    #9

Awesome! I just found out that Ollie's (across the parking lot from SAMs) has 12.5% for $2.99. Best deal around I think.
    12,000 gal, AG, Sand Filter (Hayward S220T), 1 HP single speed
    TF-100
    Wilmington, NC