Clogged Skimmer Line?

Nov 9, 2011
Albany, NY
Quick question ....... if i shut down the main drain should i be able to keep the pump running without losing prime using just my skimmer line??

Because i can't :roll: ...... does that mean there is a clog in the skimmer line?

I blew it out with a compressor when i closed and i used a drain king this spring when i opened (water flowed smoothly) but as soon as i shut down the main drain the water stops pumping.

does that mean there is a clog in the skimmer line?
Not always but usually. Try closing the main drain slowly or partially and see if the water flow from the skimmer increases.

It is possible the skimmer alone restricts the intake enough for you to drop prime by causing a temporary suction leak.

duraleigh said:
does that mean there is a clog in the skimmer line?
Not always but usually. Try closing the main drain slowly or partially and see if the water flow from the skimmer increases.

It is possible the skimmer alone restricts the intake enough for you to drop prime by causing a temporary suction leak.

As soon as i begin to close the valve it begins to lose prime.

I don't remember it being like that in the past.

If it is clogged would a plumbers snake be safe to use??

1 - You have a suction side air leak. Somewhere between the pump and the skimmer(s), air is being sucked into the system.

2 - Go look at the skimmer with the pump running. If it's sucking air, you will see the mini-tornado.

If you're not getting the vortex in the skimmer body then check the common places to have a leak.
The pump basket lid o-ring. Clean and lube it well with pool lube.
The pump and basket drain plugs. Remove, clean and reseal them.
Any fittings near the pump, Including the adapter on the front of the pump basket. Run a water from a hose over it and if the bubbles in the basket reduce you've found a leak.

Bama Rambler said:
If you're not getting the vortex in the skimmer body then check the common places to have a leak.
The pump basket lid o-ring. Clean and lube it well with pool lube.
The pump and basket drain plugs. Remove, clean and reseal them.
Any fittings near the pump, Including the adapter on the front of the pump basket. Run a water from a hose over it and if the bubbles in the basket reduce you've found a leak.

will do ..... thanks to both of you

i am in upstate ny and my water temp is mid 40's but i figured i would open it up and get rolling on this stuff

on a bright note the water looked great when i opened and it looks like i need a grand total of $30 dollars worth of stabilizer and bleach to get rolling ...... vast improvement over dropping 3 bills at the pool store :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.