Question regarding DE filter Manifold and the air strainer

Feb 24, 2013
Hi guys,

I am replacing the manifold of my DE filter (Pac-Fab Nautilus FNS SS). The old manifold has cracks everywhere and a bunch of D.E. was blown back to my pool. Anyhow, I am having trouble attaching the air strainer to the manifold. For some reason the air strainer can only be attached to the manifold loosely and I am afraid that it will be blown away once I turn on the pool pump.

One strange thing that I noticed is that on my manifold, at where the air strainer should be attached to, there is small piece of plastic sticking out, preventing me from pushing the air strainer all the way down. This is really strange to me since I got both parts from the local pool store and they are compatible parts from the Pentair catalog. Am I missing something? Is it supposed to be loose fit between the air strainer and the manifold? Please advice if you know anything about this, I truly appreciate all your help.

Re: Question regarding DE filter Manifold and the air strain

i am not sure. I have never seen this. I'm assuming that the strainer doesn't have a space for the notch to go in to right?

I had that filter. That looks like the wrong strainer to me. Mine had a notch that slid over the tit and turned a little bit to lock it in place.

My first post: thanks to all the kind folks who take the time to post on this site. As a new pool owner, I've been able to find answers to all kinds of questions already. And been able to learn enough to test my local pool-store lackeys. (they haven't scored so well...)

Does anyone know the answer to the question above? I just ordered the same manifold for my filter and am having the same problem. My filter is old. In fact I don't know exactly which filter I have. The model numbers have been bleached out by the sun, and I am not the original pool owner. I know that its a pac-fab nautilus, and that it has a stainless steel tank. I think Pac-Fab made 2 DE filters the Nautilus SS and the Nautilus SS Plus. Not sure what the difference is. The previous manifold did not have such an air-relief (I believe this was a design change that came to these filters after mine was produced) The air-relief that I got came in the same factory-sealed bag from Pentair as the manifold, and looks exactly like the ones pictured above. The inside of the stem on the strainer appears to have female threads of some kind. My initial though was there was some sort of tube or adapter that went in between the strainer and the manifold, but the parts diagram doesn't show one.

Anyone have experience with this filter? Help is greatly appreciated.

For posterity: I have the exact same problem and items, pentair part # 192913 manifold, # 172855 air vent strainer, and they look like they do not go together at all. The male end on the manifold has that nub, and the female end on the strainer is threaded (and soft rubber, which is important). The fix: the soft rubber strainer just gets muscled onto the manifold! The little plastic nub prevents it from moving. It fits perfectly, I dont know why the strainer is threaded, it is just confusing...

61vp19efQcL._SX522_.jpg

This exact problem has been driving me crazy recently until I stumbled upon this forum and thread. Thank you all! The manifold vendor was no help. The pentair online diagram for 192193 appears to show a short tube but no such thing is to be found from anyone selling the 172855. So I forced on the strainer as suggested and I just hope it stays on when in use. If not I will update this thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.