Hayward SuperPump getting hot.

king908

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2013
Hello All.

In the process of getting ready for pool opening, and my pump was running a bit hot last year, and now the coating is flaking off, and has hot spots as you can see.

[attachment=0:2qa7bnnu]photo 2.JPG[/attachment:2qa7bnnu]

In the process of also converting to a SWG setup. Need to move some of the piping around I think, and wondering what you would do based on the setup of pipes.
I currently have a 1HP Motor, lines seem small to me, and have a 44k gallon plaster pool. Its an old Sylvan Pool for those in NJ Area.

I have one skimmer that is starting to crack from the slab on top sinking in on it ( any ideas on fixing that too? )
Have the dual drains on the bottom of the deep end. 10 foot deep.

Wanted to see what you all recommend on replacing the pump setup, or ideas on plumbing as well.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 98
Is the pump loud? If the paint is flaking, then it is certainly getting hot. Mine started to do that and eventually burned itself up. Could be a bad capacitor or the bearing going bad and causing more heat.

I can also say that your filter looks WAY to small for a 44k gallon pool. How sure are you about the volume as that is HUGE? Or was that a typo? Our recommended size would be 8 sqft, where as your looks around 3 sqft.

I would suggest replacing the motor and as jBlizzle said upsizing the filter, you will definitely want to make sure that your filter can handle the output of your pump for example if your pump is ouputing 70 GPM's you do not want it paired with a filter which can only handle 40 GPM's as this will put a lot of extra stress on the motor and eventually have it burn out quicker than designed. If you do decide to replace the motor then the process is relatively easy as there are many How to guides and videos online which will walk you through the process. I would also suggest a tune up kit which allows you to change out the shaft seal and all o-rings and gaskets to the pump.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. Sorry for the delay, kids misplaced my tape measure so I ordered a new one.
Trying to figure out my calculations to make sure I am accurate in my Volume.
I have a Freeform Pool - The Deep End is the skinner end, and shallow being the larger section.
Based on that.
Deep End is 10 foot Deep
Shallow is 3-3.5 foot deep.
Shallow End is 27 foot wide
Deep End is 17 foot wide
Length is about 38 feet long.

Based on different online calculators, I get a range between 36,000 gallons and 42,000 gallons.

What do you guy think?
What side Filter and Pump would you recommend?
Gonna do it all now before I open it in 2 weeks. Need to redo plumping for the AutoPilot System. Going to post question on that in the SWG Forum.

Thank you all

The issue would be the 1.5" plumbing as 1.5" plumbing can only physically allow 60 Gallons per minute through it (GPM), a 3 sq. ft. sand filter can typically handle roughly 60 GPM. Normally on a pool you would want to turn the pool over in 8 hours which on a 40,000 gallon pool would be 83 GPM's which would be a 1.5 HP pump. However on your set your plumbing can only handle 60 GPM so you would be starving the pump for water with the 1.5" plumbing, if you did have 2" plumbing then you would be supplying 83 GPM to a filter which would still pose a problem as the filter can only handle 60 GPM. With all of this being said I would suggest going with the 1 HP pump and running the pump a littler longer - 11 hours on a 1 HP would turn youe pool over completely. I hope this was not too confusing and is of some help, thanks!

patrick3229 said:
The issue would be the 1.5" plumbing as 1.5" plumbing can only physically allow 60 Gallons per minute through it (GPM), a 3 sq. ft. sand filter can typically handle roughly 60 GPM. Normally on a pool you would want to turn the pool over in 8 hours which on a 40,000 gallon pool would be 83 GPM's which would be a 1.5 HP pump. However on your set your plumbing can only handle 60 GPM so you would be starving the pump for water with the 1.5" plumbing, if you did have 2" plumbing then you would be supplying 83 GPM to a filter which would still pose a problem as the filter can only handle 60 GPM. With all of this being said I would suggest going with the 1 HP pump and running the pump a littler longer - 11 hours on a 1 HP would turn youe pool over completely. I hope this was not too confusing and is of some help, thanks!

Thank you very much Patrick, that actually made sense. So I should just stick to a 1HP, no need for a Variable or 2 speed that would just be a waste based on the 1.5" plumbing. Thank you for the prompt response.
Jon

Now - there would be nothing wrong with using a 2 speed 1HP pump - but you would want to run the low speed about twice as long as a single speed / or 2 speed on high. If your pool is big enough - you may need to mix your speeds - some time on high , and some on low just for circulation.

You do not need to have a full turn over each day. Just run the pump long enough that the water stays clean enough for you. You could certainly save money on electricity by running on low speed, which would also result in better filtration.

Your filter is pretty small for your size pool, but that will just result in having to backwash more often ... when the high speed pressure goes up 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thanks for all the information guys, and I grew up with a pool my whole life but getting the SWG and some issues, goes to show you never stop learning new tricks. This High/Low pump stuff for some reason gets me all kids of confused. Was just used to paying the crazy high electric bills.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.