Replacing Pump & Filter and Need Advice

Apr 15, 2013
Hello Everyone and THANKS in advance for any advice

I have an 18x36 in-ground liner pool here in Massachusettes. The whole pool is 4.5' deep except for about 16x6' area at the steaps which is 3' deep. I have 1 skimmer mid pool with an 1 1/2" line back to the pump (40'). I have a main drain mid pool back to the pump 1 1/2" x 30'. There are 2 returns, 1 is at the end facing the length of the pool 1 1/2" x 20' back to the filter and the other on the opposite end but on the side wall 1 1/2" by 55' back to the filter. There is also a 1 1/2" by 35' line that feeds 3 returns into a swim out on the opposite side with a few seats. No fountains or anything so basically everything is a homerun back to the filter. The current setup is a Hayward DE4820 Filter and Hayward Super Pump C48K2143B1 (picture attached)..The pump is very very loud now and the a few of the cartridges in the filter have small rips leaking DE back into the pool. I would like to to replace the entire set up with something quiet and efficient. Being here in Southern New England the electric bills are crazy and if I run 24hrs a day it adds about $150 a month to the bill. Any advice appreciated

Attachments

• Pump Setup.jpg
    Pump Setup.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 58
Welcome to TFP!!!

I am estimating you are around 16k gallons, so your filter is already the size we would recommend. For less than $150 you can get a whole new set of grids off Ebay. I would go that route instead of buying a whole new filter.

Can you add a picture of the motor label? I do not find anything for the model # you posted.
The cheapest fix for the pump would be to just replace the motor. Either going with a 2-speed that could be run on low most of the time and save a lot of electrical cost or there is a newer variable speed Super Pump, that you may also be able to just buy the motor and put on your existing pump.

if I run 24hrs a day it adds about $150 a month to the bill
A bit off the subject but running 24/7 is overkill by a lot. Most of us run 6-8 hours daily in swim season and a bit less in cooler months.

Run time can vary quite a bit but there is no need to run 24/7.

Hi Jason..thanks for the reply...here is a picture of the pump

Hi duraleigh..I don't always run 24x7 but I happen to live in coastal area that is considerably windy the majority of the time so although I have taken down everything I can around the pool I still have to deal with the neighbors trees etc which keeps my skimmer pretty busy.

Attachments

• Hayward Pump.jpg
    Hayward Pump.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 50
OK so it is a 1.1 SFHP Super Pump. (There is someone else currently looking to replace the same motor here: help-me-pick-a-new-pump-t57622.html)

Anyway, do you know if yours is 115V or 230V?

You can find a replacement 2-speed motor and seals for less than $300 ... then would need to add a speed switch (I saw a Hayward rear motor cover with a switch for $35).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The motor looks to basically be one of the impower motors. The differene is that you can actually adjust the high and low speeds. Not sure what they are online, but the whole pump retails for 750. You could always just remove the power end and stick it in the existing wet end so no plumbing work needs to be done. Either sell new wet end or keep for a spare.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.