Fiberglass pool resurfacing issue

Apr 15, 2013
I also have this "chalking" problem with my fiber glass pool. The pool is 5 years old and was getting the chaling for the first time. I was told by a pool company that the gel coat is comeing off and the pool neds to be resurfaced. We chose an epoxy paint and had them sand (some spots) and paint pool. Then the next day pink streaks appeared all over the surface of the pool. The pool company came out and did a second coat of resin paint. Thid appeared to fix the problem and we enjoyed a summer of swimming. Covered pool with all chemicals levels good, now sprintime and I pulled back cover only to discover the the pool seems to be doing the same chalking again. I called pool company and they refuse to help fix the problem saying it was due to improper maintenance of the pool which is BS. Anyway why is this paint only 1 year old chalking and how can I fix the problem? I really dont want to drain and paint again. And by the way the pool company charged me $8000.00 for the job. And I got them from Angie's list. Anyone HEPL!!!!

Welcome to TFP.

The first thing I'd like to see is a full set of test results and how you got them? That will help us determine if it's chalking or scaling.

Once we see the numbers we will know which direction you need to look.

Test strips are so untrustworthy that I hesitate to believe any of those numbers except possibly the pH. They're usually not too bad on that one.

If you take a little acid and mix it about 4:1 in water and wash a spot with it does it fizz or does the spot come clean?

Nothing happens and it isn't spots it is the entire surface of the pool. The paint is barely on for 1 year, previously before painting the pool was doing the same thing, I was told the gel coat was coming off and told to regel coat (expensive nad no one does that in my area) or paint and the paint should last 3-4 years.

Gel coat I don't think will wear off for 30-40 years on a boat no different on a pool.

If it gets chalk you use 1000 grit sand paper to bring it back to almost new.

But that idea is too late.

Call Jamestown distributors in RI they know more about fiberglass that anyone and will give you the right advise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.