Milky Cloudy Pool

Todays Test Results:

PH; 7.6
ALK: 120
FC: 2
Copper:3.0
TH: 400
CYA:30-50
My pool has a http://www.intheswim.com/shopping/p...9TKSHOP&e7=Y&e8=A2550&pcode=104&keyword=A2550 attached to it and it is set on "3"
Three weeks and today I finally got the chlorine to register, thinking this might be the cause of the cloudy water.
When we opened the pool it was unsightly and very green, we had a tree blow over into it during a storm so there was lots of moss too. Anywho my pump has been running 24/7 now for three weeks and it is still cloudy I can barely see through to the bottom when the vaccum runs across the bottom, can someone please help me determine what to do next, I want clear water. I started to vaccum to waste today but changed my mind as I have spent about $100 getting the pool stablized to date, but thinking I may need to start over......

I am almost sure you need to take your pool through the shock process. read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School and follow that procedure precisely. A pic would help.

Ona completely unrelated subject, if your copper is really 3.0, you want to consider a partial drain. It is not related to your current issue but could cause a different one down the road.

Do you have your own test kit? I'm thinking those are pool store results, because you have a copper number. If you do not have your own kit, you should get either a TF-100 or K-2006 from tftestkits.net. There are 2 reasons for this: 1)Pool store results tend to be very inaccurate. 2)You will have to shock the pool, which involves testing up to once an hour. That will be very difficult to do using the pool store.

Are you still using the ionizer? We don't recommend them here, because they are not needed, are expensive, and can cause staining. As for clearing up the water, you will need to follow the shock process outlined in pool school, using only bleach. Cal hypo will increase your CH level, which is high, and dichlor and trichlor will increase your CYA which (may) be high. That 30-50 for your CYA test is quite a range, can you narrow it down a bit?

Ok, I am game here, give me step by step instructions to follow and I will, my shock process was followed as prescribed by the pool store, apparently after reading here they cannot be trusted, so, at this time I am putting some fresh water into my pool, as I had decided to vaccum to waste so I could start over, right now I am not getting in chlorine reading, my alk is at about 120 and my Ph is at about 7.5, I have turned off the ionizer. I have on hand, bleach, baking soda, and acid....I cannot get Borax locally.....but will make a trip tomorrow to get some. I need some step by step instruction as well as quanities of supplies....PLEASE

Don't start buying chemicals until you know that you need them. All you will need to start is a lot of bleach. You TA is already plenty high, so you will not need baking soda. And borax raised pH, which you do not need to do.

What test kit do you have? If it does not have the FAS-DPD chlorine test (uses a powder), then you will not be able to follow the shock process accurately enough.

Ok, then I guess first things first, I need the correct testing kit...I got mine at wal mart as that is all there is here podunk USA...I can by the type of one suggested here from the pool store....so i guess tomorrow that is the first thing. Right now I have on hand three gallons of bleach...assuming I will need more?

How do I add a picture of pool so you can see it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.