What depletes CYA?

Mar 24, 2013
NW GA
My test kit came in Saturday. (Baaaaad idea y'all for me to have test kits. I want to test everything every day multiple times a day just to see what's going on!!)

First test 4/13
FC - 0
TC - 1
pH - 8.0
TA - 130
CH - 120
CYA - 0
Salt - 2320

I added:
5lbs trichlor
10lbs stabilizer (CYA)
1 quart muratic acid
8x 40lb bags of salt
And turned the return jets upward to aerate
(Turned the swg off to let salt dissolve)
(I added the CYA in a pair of pantyhose and hung it in front of a return jet. It was completely dissolve from the pantyhose within about 24 hours. )

Second test 4/15
FC - 5
TC - 5
pH - 7.4
TA - 100
CH - 120
CYA - 40
Salt - 3800

So now I'll turn the swg on maybe 20% and monitor TC
Pool calculator is telling me 6 more lbs of CYA to get to 70. At $20 per 5 pounds this stuff is expensive and I'm hoping to not have to add it often!
What causes CYA to deplete and how often should I expect to have to add it?

Most people only need to add CYA once per season.

Oxidation of CYA can happen but it is much slower than that, perhaps 2 ppm/month. Mostly CYA is lost when you replace water, for example when you backwash or winterize, and occasionally CYA will vanish over the winter.

imwarren said:
Wait before you add more cya yer I recall even if disolved it can take several days to register on test
This is a good point by imwarren. Adding 10 lbs to your 24000 gallon pool should raise it up 50 ppm. It can take up to a week for cya to show up. In addition, there are a couple of reasons to wait to add more, one is knowing your pool volume accurately, and two, there may have been a small amount of cya in the pool even though you read 0 (unless you just refilled the pool or know the full history of the water). I would wait to add more until ~6 days go by and test again.

Edited my sig. Measured pool depth. I had estimated 7' deep end but it's 8'. I measured the step depth too and calculated it all in pentair volume calculator.

Just tested fill water.
TC - 0 (good)
pH - 7.2
TA - 140
I didn't test CH since my pool is fine on CH an a wide range is acceptable.
I didn't test CYA because tap water shouldn't have any...
So hopefully the kids can splash out any extra TA over the summer as we refill the pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.