Want to replace pump motor - still have some questions

Apr 15, 2013
Fresno, CA
I currently have the pump on the link below. Home is new to me and i already did some work removing a terribly outdated salt chlorinator. Besides the stains in the pool (ive been told I HAVE to have it re-plastered as a chemical cleaning will not do the trick). I am figuring out how to keep this pool clear and chemically balanced from browsing this site!

What I am wanting to do is move to a lower HP motor to run for longer periods of the day. The current motor is an ST1152 and is expensive to run for more than 6-8 hours in a day. With the heat around here in the summer and the debris (the people who put the home in surrounded it with messy trees!!) I need to have this thing running more often and its too Dang expensive.

What I cannot seem to figure out is what motors I could potentially move to. Its an 18,000 gallon pool and from what I am seeing I do not need this massive 2hp motor.....I could run a 1/2 or 3/4 motor for most of the day for less money. The vacuum I use is a suction type and I assume that its suction would be limited as I lower the HP of the motor......is this correct?

I appreciate any input into this matter. the days I can run the pump for 10-12 hours the pool is sparkling.....anything less and i'm scrubbing, shocking, and skimming 4 days a week.

http://www.yourpoolproducts.com/Hayward-SP-3010X15-Super-II-Pump-Pool-Spa-Pump-p/sp-3010x15.htm

There are lots of pump experts around here so I'll let them advise on that, though I'd think you could use a much smaller motor.

You may have something else going on though if you need a your pump to run that long each day. Each pool is different of course, but most seem to be able to get away with pump run times half of what you are experiencing. Could be a low level algae problem??

the largest issue is contaminants entering the pool. There are 6 trees (after I removed 4) surrounding the yard that drop items into the pool almost constantly...........4-5 hours of the day without the water moving and its full of leaves or seeds or all kinds of organic material. This seems to be the issue with keeping the Dang thing clear.

Is the problem that the floor is not vacuumed enough or the top is not skimmed enough?

The cheapest solution would be to replace your existing motor with a 2-speed and then run on low speed most of the time. If you go with a smaller motor (1HP say), then you will also likely need to get a smaller impeller so that the smaller motor is not over-worked.

That said, on low speed, your vacuum may not work very well and the skimmer may struggle as well.

One possibility would be to try running for shorter periods but at multiple times during the day. Say run 2 hours at 3 different times of the day. This may help keep the surfaced skimmed and thus less will fall to the floor.

You could certainly get by with a smaller pump, but not sure that would "solve" the debris problem ... it would allow you to spend a little less $ on electricity. But, I am not sure you could take the benefit of running on low speed.

I understand how impellers work from the standpoint of the water pump on a boat....is this essentially the same thing?

Not a ton of debris on the floor...the vacuum does its job there. Mostly the top of the water having junk floating around constantly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.