short blast of DE at pump turn on?

May 1, 2007
Just moved to a new house with a pool. Iv'e noticed when the pump first turns on it appears that a blast of De comes out of the jets. It only happens at start-up for a few seconds and then stops? Im assuming its DE. If there were a rip in the filter wouldn't it spray DE all the time when running???

Does it only do this when switching back to filter after backwashing? Or does it do it every time the pump is turned on?

The former seems to happen to some people (I have never seen it). The latter should not be happening.

It happened after I backwashed and added DE again. I have a multi-port valve. I am not very familiar with this type of valve. I was running for a few minutes on recirc. I thought that on recirc it just bypassed the filter??? Could that have something to do with my issue?

Correct, recirculate skips the filter ... why were you using that setting?

The normal backwash routine is backwash, rinse, backwash, rinse, repeat as needed until the water is clear when backwashing. {Always turn off the pump when changing the valve}. Some people add the DE in the Rinse setting so that nothing that sneaks through goes back to the pool. I have always added the DE on Filter and do not see anything go back to the pool.

It did not happen today when the pump kicked on. I'm assuming its something that occurs after backwashing and adding the DE. Either that or all my DE was pushed into the pool. Im assuming if that were the case the DE would settle on the bottom and be visible? My filter holds 10 lbs of DE

medic2051 said:
It did not happen today when the pump kicked on. I'm assuming its something that occurs after backwashing and adding the DE. Either that or all my DE was pushed into the pool. Im assuming if that were the case the DE would settle on the bottom and be visible? My filter holds 10 lbs of DE
That must be a huge filter! How big is the pool? Are you sure you're not overcharging the filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.