Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: short blast of DE at pump turn on?

1. Back To Top    #1

short blast of DE at pump turn on?

Just moved to a new house with a pool. Iv'e noticed when the pump first turns on it appears that a blast of De comes out of the jets. It only happens at start-up for a few seconds and then stops? Im assuming its DE. If there were a rip in the filter wouldn't it spray DE all the time when running???
    62,800 Litre IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    1HP Super Pump
    Clearwater/Zodiac LM2-24S SWG
    Aquabot Turbo Robot Cleaner
    250K NG Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: short blast of DE at pump turn on?

make sure it's DE first. scoop some out of the pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

There's not enough to scoop. Just a quick gray cloud out of the jets when the pump first kicks on......
    62,800 Litre IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    1HP Super Pump
    250K NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Does it only do this when switching back to filter after backwashing? Or does it do it every time the pump is turned on?

The former seems to happen to some people (I have never seen it). The latter should not be happening.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

It happened after I backwashed and added DE again. I have a multi-port valve. I am not very familiar with this type of valve. I was running for a few minutes on recirc. I thought that on recirc it just bypassed the filter??? Could that have something to do with my issue?
    62,800 Litre IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    1HP Super Pump
    250K NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Correct, recirculate skips the filter ... why were you using that setting?

The normal backwash routine is backwash, rinse, backwash, rinse, repeat as needed until the water is clear when backwashing. {Always turn off the pump when changing the valve}. Some people add the DE in the Rinse setting so that nothing that sneaks through goes back to the pool. I have always added the DE on Filter and do not see anything go back to the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

It did not happen today when the pump kicked on. I'm assuming its something that occurs after backwashing and adding the DE. Either that or all my DE was pushed into the pool. Im assuming if that were the case the DE would settle on the bottom and be visible? My filter holds 10 lbs of DE
    62,800 Litre IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    1HP Super Pump
    250K NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by medic2051
    It did not happen today when the pump kicked on. I'm assuming its something that occurs after backwashing and adding the DE. Either that or all my DE was pushed into the pool. Im assuming if that were the case the DE would settle on the bottom and be visible? My filter holds 10 lbs of DE
    That must be a huge filter! How big is the pool? Are you sure you're not overcharging the filter?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm not at home now, but I believe it's 60 sq ft. Calls for 9lbs DE. I think the pool is about 24,000 gallons. Sound about right?
    62,800 Litre IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    1HP Super Pump
    250K NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by medic2051
    I'm not at home now, but I believe it's 60 sq ft. Calls for 9lbs DE. I think the pool is about 24,000 gallons. Sound about right?
    That depends entirely on the size of the filter and what the manufacturer says. It's generally about 1 lb DE for every 10 square feet of filter.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!