Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running pool only off main drain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Running pool only off main drain?

We just reopened our inground pool. We haven't run it yet because our attached spa (that has a water spillover thing) had really bad nasty smelling algae, so we drained the spa. My husband is working on cleaning the surface of the spa because it appears to be stained. It almost looks like pollen got in the water there. Gross.

While the spa needs to be cleaned still, I'm trying to find out if we can go ahead and get the pool running without the spa. Would we just close the main drain on the spa and open the main drain on the pool to run it? We don't want to "try" it without asking first so as not to mess the pool equipment up. Hopefully that question makes sense!
    13,500 gallons
    Sand filter
    IG
    Plaster
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Running pool only off main drain?

Sure that should work. Make sure that you also aren't sending any return water to the spa. Occasionally we see a system where it is impossible to completely turn off the return to the spa, but they are rare.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. Which type of algaecide is best to add? I remember there is one that has a certain ingredient we shouldn't buy but I can't remember which one.
    13,500 gallons
    Sand filter
    IG
    Plaster
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by DanaSC
    Thanks Jason. Which type of algaecide is best to add? I remember there is one that has a certain ingredient we shouldn't buy but I can't remember which one.
    Bleach is the best thing. Keep the FC level up to where it should be for your CYA level, and you won't need any supplemental algaecides.

If you insist on wasting money, look for polyquat 60. Avoid anything with copper or silver compounds.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

We ran our original 40,000 gallon pool from 1946 to 1963 with only a main drain. Other than the lack of surface skimming, no problems at all. But retrofitting a skimmer was definitely a nice piece of progress.

So if your pool plumbing can be isolated from the spa, go for it.

We didn't use CYA back then, either.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.