Broken Fingers Hayward Perflex EC75A DE Filter

adman

Apr 14, 2013
I could use some help with a diagnosis. The Hayward DE filter in my pool has been clogging in just a few minutes (30) while trying to open the pool. I hosed it clear last fall, and recharged it yesterday at opening. I took it apart and have soaked it in 10% Muriatic acid for 24 hours, but I have also noticed that the DE was clumping and gathering at the top of the fingers. I've disassembled the filter entirely, and the tube sheets are OK, but there were 44 filter fingers broken near where they go through the tube sheet. They have varying levels of brokenness,some cracked, some severed. The linings on them are all in good shape. Question is, is it the fact that the filter hasn't been acid washed in two years, or these broken fingers that's causing the problem? I am debating this primarily because replacing 45 fingers is going to cost me about $300.00, and if the cleaning is my problem, and not these plastic cores, then gluing about half of them that are just cracked back together is an option I might take.

Welcome to TFP!

Cracked fingers will definitely have an effect, basically making the filter be a smaller filter than it was designed to be and thus need more frequent cleaning. At the same time, the basic pattern of needing to clean the filter frequently for a little while after opening is fairly common and normally goes away in after several cycles of getting the fine dust that accumulated over the winter out of the water.

I'm assuming your water looks clear. If you water is cloudy and/or full of algae then that is the problem not the filter.

Thanks Jason -

I take it that the fingers that are broken/severed entirely offer less resistance to the water flow, and hence allow there to be uneven flow. I think, based on your feedback, i will replace the ones that are severed, and repair the ones that are cracked and concentrate my efforts on cleaning the filter. After soaking in a 10% muriatic solution for 24 hours, I didn't think the filter fingers were as bright white and clean as they should have been (referencing other online videos). I have subsequently been hand washing each of them with detergent and continue to notice cloudy water dripping from them. So, i'll get them clean and repair the severed ones. please let me know if you see a flaw in the plan. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.