Starting with almost empty pool

Yes he did. I guess that's where I got confused. He added it in the skimmer, which from what I read is the correct way to do it, but I thought maybe some is left in the water. I'll learn this stuff. I did read about maintenance for both filters, I guess I just haven't fully groked it. BTW, just tested the chlorine levels and they were FC 11 and CC 0. I guess this is going pretty well. I'm thinking I will test again in the morning since its dark and get the results of OFCLT. Pump has been running ever since the pool was filled enough to do so and will continue all night. Thanks for all of your help and patience. I'm so stoked right now!

Ok, retested the water around 5:30 am which I think is about 10 hours later for the OFCLT. I got FC 10 and CC 0. I wasn't sure if I counted right and tested again and it may have been 9.5 as there may have been a hint of pink in the test. It was still dark outside but with the pool lights on the water looked clear and I couldn't see any obvious green on the walls and floor of the pool or the spa. I left the pump running, but I'm wondering if the shock process is done or if I should continue shocking. It says I could lose up to 1 ppm overnight and I'm right on there, but something was consuming chlorine overnight. Anyway, the pool is look the best it's looked a few week before the pool guy nonsense started. Thanks again.

Did you brush the visible algae while at shock level? You do not see any green anywhere?

It sound like you are done, but that was awfully fast for having visible algae. I might give it another day just too be sure.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I did brush the algae. It was dark and I was half asleep so I'm not entirely sure, but I didn't see any algae. I think I'll give it another day to be sure like you said. Should I start testing TA, CH so I have a full set of numbers or should I wait until I'm done shocking?

Sure go ahead and test other numbers. As you test you grow more comfortable with the techniques and thus more confident in your results. Post them when you do, but we may not have you act on them (if necessary) until shocking is complete (so as not to overwhelm.) Hang in there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, back from work at 5pm and measured FC 7. The last time I put chlorine in the pool was ~7pm yesterday. I added 28oz of 10% bleach to get back to FC 10. I looked in the skimmer and sock of CYA is still pretty full. I squeezed a bunch of times to get the white milky stuff to come out. Maybe 1/3 at most has been liquified. I measured everything else here are the numbers...

FC 7
CC 0
TA 90
CH 120
ph 7.6

The CH I might have messed up. I got to 12 and it turned very light blue. I added a 13th drop and it didn't change. I can test that again. The rest of the numbers seem to fall into the suggested levels in pool school. The water is very clear to me (see cesspool pics on 1st page). I don't see any algae, but here a couple of pics...

KmKQ8VX.jpg

e8T0z1D.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited:
Looks pretty nice :goodjob: ... get those leaves out :whip: They will consume some of your FC and possibly skew the OCLT.

The CYA will just take some time, until it is dissolved you will see a higher than normal FC drop during the day if it is sunny.

Sounds like your CH is actually 120 ppm, which is a little low. I want to ask, all the dark looking spots on the plaster, do they feel raised and rougher? It kind of looks like calcium scaling.

Just got back from vacuuming the pool :-D I bought one and hose on the way home. Almost all of the leaves on the bottom are gone. Filled the pump basket to the brim with leaves and dirt. A bit of an adventure getting the pump cover back on correctly but everything is running again. I just retested the FC and it's up to 11. I felt the sides and it doesn't feel raised. What I was told was it was a black bottom pool and they did something to cause the white spots. They pool guy who emptied the pool thought it was from chemicals. They had a chlorinator just roaming free and there are big holes on the steps where it seemed to settle a lot. So glad to done with that thing. I'll do another OFCLT and if it's the same or better than yesterday I think it's miller time, right? :cheers:

Finished the OFCLT and i went from FC 11 to 10 which is 1 ppm again. I meet all 3 criteria from pool school, so I think this is done, but what could be causing the 1 ppm loss? Also, should I do anything about the low CH? What are the effects of low CH?

The the test is accurate to +/- 1 drop, so it could be that causing the difference as well.

Where are you located? (city is not in your profile)
The safest would be to raise the CH up to around 250ppm and then maintain all the parameters as recommended.

Take a look at the CSI in the poolcalculator if you want to see if the water is tending toward damage or scaling. You can play with the numbers to see how each parameter affects it ... pH has the biggest effect.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.