New Season: New problems with my Pentair IC40

Jan 2, 2012
Hello TFP,
I recently have begun to open my pool for the season. Currently my pool has 2 SWG Pentair IC 40s in parallel. My pool has been slowly getting built but is now at least 3+ yrs old (Ive only owed 1+yrs now).

I have received an "Alert" on the Pentair system to "clean the salt cell".
I have cleaned my cell multiple times each about 2o min each time, 3 times now. Testing each one individually for proper operation by restoring flow and power and allowing it to refresh with no alerts.
One of my cells no constantly produces and error to "clean the salt cell".
This troublesome cell has about 60% life consumed already so I and thinking about biting the bullet before prime time and jumping up to and IC60 to better accommodate my pool size of 63k gal.

1. Anyway to get rid of the "clean the salt cell" alert I keep getting?

2. Any thoughts or recommendations on the replacement of cells to IC60s? probable one this year and then another once the other cell fails.

Welcome to TFP!

Clean the cell errors can be a symptom of cold water. If your water temperature is 60 or lower wait until after it warms up and try again.

I assume you have examined the inside of the cell and don't see any buildup on the cell plates.

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

Clean the cell errors can be a symptom of cold water. If your water temperature is 60 or lower wait until after it warms up and try again.

I assume you have examined the inside of the cell and don't see any buildup on the cell plates.

Thanks for the quick response....
1.Water temp is 69+ for a few days now. No visual indication of debris or buildup on cell. It is also taking suction from deep end only due to other issues.
Since its finally warm enough to operate (65+) I'd like to figure this out to keep my pool with with enough free chlorine to atleast remain blue after I shock it. I know it more than that but to keep things simple...

2.Any thoughts on the sizing? Keep in mind when initial config was built IC60 wasn't available yet. I seen a lot of posts signatures with 25-27k Setups with 40k cells. Making a 40+60 Just about correctly sized.

Update...
Still Waiting on new IC 60 to arrive.
After a convo with Pentair support today this may be a bad salinity sensor. Ordered one from amazon. Figured I can save at least one of the two IC40s I have.
However I may have ordered wrong one seams like there are multiple versions of this switch sensor combo.

Lesson Learned:
IC40 Cal procedure available (see this site =)
My Intellitouch I9+3 can only control one cell.
Salinity and flow switch are same part and are replaceable item on IC40.
IC40 updates Salinity reading every 12 Hours.

New question:
Can someone confirm sequence of cell?
-Pump on andFlow is made and then salinity calculated over 2-5 mins(lights flashing).
If this reading comes back low does this cell still produce chlorine?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.