Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash handle

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwash handle

If it pulls completely out of the valve can it be fixed? I can not get the pump to backwash either

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwash handle

It can be fixed, though you may need to buy a part.

Usually the handle is held in place with a cotter pin inside the valve body. It could be as simple as the cotter pin shearing off, or there might be something more complex going on. If you want to attempt the repair yourself, open up the main valve and look around to see what the handle connects to and if all of the visible parts are otherwise intact. The pump should be off when attempting this of course.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

And I would need to empty the water from the filter correct? Please forgive my ignorance but I am just starting to lean this pool maintenance thing.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Here is a step by step guide which would show you how to replace the handle on your backwash valve What is the make and model of your filter or the part # for your valve? If you supply this information I could let you know what part # you require for the valve handle replacement.
    Thank You
    Patrick
    www.inyopools.com

5. Back To Top    #5

[attachment=0:2vjzq8g7]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365990122.612350.jpg[/attachment:2vjzq8g7]
    Here is a picture during a filter clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

The filter will get drained one way or another, simpler if you drain it in advance.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok so I took the top off the b/w valve and I can not get to the valve itself. I can get to a black tube that the handle goes into. Any advice to get the valve mechanism itself out? Also the valve on the step by step isn't the same one I have.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok I fixed it. Realized it was missing a metal pin. Looked all over for it and It was gone! I think the last pool service guy that came to find a suction leak was hoping for more work! Either way it's fixed now and not leaking a drop.