Failed at having a pool.

May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I failed at keeping up with my pool in the winter and I dont know what to do now. My pool is really green and nasty. To top it off it has some bugs in it that look like those seamonkeys.... My husband wants to drain it becaus of the bugs. Should we drain and start over or should I shock it. :oops:

Sugarme said:
I failed at keeping up with my pool in the winter and I dont know what to do now. My pool is really green and nasty. To top it off it has some bugs in it that look like those seamonkeys.... My husband wants to drain it becaus of the bugs. Should we drain and start over or should I shock it. :oops:
How big is the pool? It might be cheaper to drain it than to burn through gallons and gallons of bleach. You'll probably still want to perform the shock process either way.

Pool calculator shows you have a volume of 6000 gallons. Compare your cost of water vs your cost of bleach. I just cleared up my green swamp (complete with sea monkeys) with $50 in chlorine. Even with refilling, I'd still go through the shock process to make sure whatever was in the hoses/filter/hidden cracks & crevices was dead.

Sidenote: the mold for the lid to the Seamonkey tanks was made by my dad in our basement!

Thank you for the advices. Here is my other problem. I cannot back wash. The pump/filter I have is from a underground pool that they converted to work for my aboveground pool. It work great if I didnt have this problem. But by what I have been reading I think I can shock it and once Im ready to vacuum the stuff from the bottom. I will just have the water flush out to my yard instead of the filter again. I hope I explain myself right. What do you think?

I just bought a Intex 2650 Sand filter pump just because the one I have is really ghetto.. I read and watched a video of installing the pump. After installing the pump it said to Backwash until a clear flow of water is observed in the waste/drain outlet or through the drain sediment window. But will I ever see clear water since I have a swamp going on in my pool? So I dont know if I should start shocking it with my old pump or install the new one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.