Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Failed at having a pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Failed at having a pool.

I failed at keeping up with my pool in the winter and I dont know what to do now. My pool is really green and nasty. To top it off it has some bugs in it that look like those seamonkeys.... My husband wants to drain it becaus of the bugs. Should we drain and start over or should I shock it.
    16' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex 2650 gph Sand Filter Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Failed at having a pool.

Shock it is fine, read pool school in the upper right corner for how to shock and turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarme
    I failed at keeping up with my pool in the winter and I dont know what to do now. My pool is really green and nasty. To top it off it has some bugs in it that look like those seamonkeys.... My husband wants to drain it becaus of the bugs. Should we drain and start over or should I shock it.
    How big is the pool? It might be cheaper to drain it than to burn through gallons and gallons of bleach. You'll probably still want to perform the shock process either way.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

16 x48 ultra metal frame pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool calculator shows you have a volume of 6000 gallons. Compare your cost of water vs your cost of bleach. I just cleared up my green swamp (complete with sea monkeys) with $50 in chlorine. Even with refilling, I'd still go through the shock process to make sure whatever was in the hoses/filter/hidden cracks & crevices was dead.

Sidenote: the mold for the lid to the Seamonkey tanks was made by my dad in our basement!
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for the advices. Here is my other problem. I cannot back wash. The pump/filter I have is from a underground pool that they converted to work for my aboveground pool. It work great if I didnt have this problem. But by what I have been reading I think I can shock it and once Im ready to vacuum the stuff from the bottom. I will just have the water flush out to my yard instead of the filter again. I hope I explain myself right. What do you think?

7. Back To Top    #7

I just bought a Intex 2650 Sand filter pump just because the one I have is really ghetto.. I read and watched a video of installing the pump. After installing the pump it said to Backwash until a clear flow of water is observed in the waste/drain outlet or through the drain sediment window. But will I ever see clear water since I have a swamp going on in my pool? So I dont know if I should start shocking it with my old pump or install the new one.

8. Back To Top    #8

Any advice regarding my last post please.

9. Back To Top    #9

You will be able to see a difference in the water color. It will be much dark at first and lighten up and look nearly clear when it is clean after a few minutes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Have you tried backwashing yet? It could be that the turbidity is worse in the bulk pool water, but you will see clear in the backwash stream.

Either way, the goal of backwashing is to clean the top of the sand bed. As long as you improve the flow, then you've accomplished that.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you both.

12. Back To Top    #12

Have you looked any more at your water replacement costs? In many areas of the country this would be less than $30.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

13. Back To Top    #13

After 4 long weeks working on my pool... Well really 3, I was down 4 days from wisdom tooth extraction but it's almost crystal clear YAY Thank you all!!!!