Which Pump?

Jul 11, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Hey guys - getting ready to pull the trigger on a DIY IG. Quick ? on pump selection. Going to order the kit through royal and they have the following pumps. I know i want a 2 speed but is there one better then the other?

All 1.5 Hp
Hayward 2 speed super pump
Speck Omega 2
Hayward Tri Star 2 speed

With that size pool, I would go with at least a 325 sq-ft filter and no larger than a 3/4 HP full rated pump ( or 1 HP up rated). Otherwise, you will be cleaning the filter multiple times a season and replacing the cartridges more often.

Total Head????

So I ended up ordering a TriStar 1.5 HP pump, after doing some more learning I think i'm going to see about changing that up. So reading this morning and well trying to calc total head has giving me a headache :hammer:

so in a effort to chose the right pump to match head loss, pipe, filter, swg. is there a easy way to calc total head?

Base on the filter flow rate and to turn the pool over 2 times a day, i would need to run the pump for ~11/12 hours

all pipe is 1.5 sch 40
filter is a hayward s244t - 62 gpm
pool is a 16x32 - total 19200 gal
swg is a ic40

If i'm reading total head and data sheets correctly i could use a tri-star or whisperflo 1/2 hp if total head is around 40 to get around 60 gpm.

Could i use a 2 speed pump? data sheet for the tri-star 1hp shows a low speed of 60 gpm but with a total head of 10'ish same for the whisperflo

Edit*** Crud now i just found out 1.5 only has a max flow of 42gpm............ :hammer:

You are thinking too much. Flow rate does not matter and is not that easy to calculate.

Mark is an expert on this stuff and recommended as small as you can go ... yet you ordered a pretty large pump.

Ultimately up to you on how much you want to spend on the pump and the electricity, but you have already gotten expert advice.

Yes you can get a 2 speed pump and running on low will save more money. You do not need to have 2 turn overs per day.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
anguspoe said:
Is there a recommended turn-over?
No! Turnover is way overrated. Just run the pump long enough to get enough chlorine in the pool and to keep it clean enough for you. Some pools like mine, can get away with less than 1/2 turn per day while other require over one turn so there is really no one size fits all number.

Distance and raise from pool? So pool and pump are set about 70 feet apart with about a 1.5 to two foot raise at the pump. Will my superflo 1hp be able to handle it (priming and pumping) or could I have problems?

Prime on high, filter on low?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.