Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Multiport Issue? All water is wasted with pump running

1. Back To Top    #1

Multiport Issue? All water is wasted with pump running

Help! Went to backwash today after finally getting the water crystal clear (except for a thick coat of pollen on top) and noticed that my water level was dropping rapidly. Checked the waste line and sure enough, it was flowing out. I tried several of the different settings, but still all going to waste. Note: the valve is about 12 years and is very difficult to turn. I have not yet taken the cover off (been reading up on the valve and searching to see if others have experienced the same issue. Besides the cost, I'm hoping it doesn't have to be replaced due to all of the PVC lines that will have to cut, spliced, etc.
    22.5k gal; IG Pebble, AT50 sand filter, SwimPure SWG, Polaris 380 cleaner
    Built approx 2000. Pool novice - only owned since 2011.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Multiport Issue? All water is wasted with pump running

Use "spider gasket" in the search box. If you know the brand of valve, try youtube - sometimes there are how-to videos.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just watched a video on the gasket replacement. It looks very easy. Guess it is time to go pop the cover on this thing and see how it looks on the inside. From what I have seen of these, it doesn't seem possible to have the volume of water that is wasting just due to a bad spider gasket. Stay tuned!

4. Back To Top    #4

The "wagon wheel" (part that rotates in the middle of the valve) can be broken, increasing the flow rate, but that is unusual. You will know as soon as you have the valve open as any damage should be fairly obvious.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Wagon wheel looks pretty good. Gasket, not so much. There is sand and grit imbedded in it. This has scratched the body of the multiport and the sides to the wagon wheel. Now to try and locate a new gasket...
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

It looks like I see significant damage to the outer edge of the grey plastic below the spring. Am I missing something?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

It does appear that there is a section missing, but this is just the picture. I was unable to locate a new gasket locally so I ordered one online. In order to run the pump until it comes in, I put a cap n the end of my waste line. When reassembling the multiport, I remove all the grit, lubed the seals, and sprayed WD40 on the handle. It now spins easily! Amazing what a bit of maintenance can do. That and understanding of how something works.