Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Composite/PVC decking (semi-ingr.)...what brands are best?

1. Back To Top    #1

Composite/PVC decking (semi-ingr.)...what brands are best?

Hi,

I'm not new to the forum but I think this is the first time I'm posting.

We had a semi-inground installed late last summer (18' x 33' oval - 4 1/2 ft and 7 ft deep end - custom liner -- one of these days I'll post pics of construction) Pool stands about 26-28" above ground.

So this year we're doing landscaping/decking.

We would like to put in a deck on half the pool - it will lead down to a paver patio.

Husband is building the deck, contractor is doing everything else (patio, sprinklers, landscaping, lawn).

Been reading about different types decking - I like the TimberTech the best but have been reading that some of
    the TT styles have mold issues and the TT XLM is slippery when wet. [ETA: Not composite - PVC decking materials]

Pool is in full sun most of the day.

What types/brands of composite or PVC have others used for decking on semi and above ground pools around here? Anything you would recommend or absolutely avoid?

Am willing to spend a bit more to get better quality. I know that no deck is maintenance free - but looking for the easiest to maintain and safest to use.

Thanks !!!!!

Laurie

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Composite decking (for semi-ingr.)...what brands are bes

From my experience with TT it looks really nice and was easy to maintain but if its in full sun you need to wear flip flops because it gets extremely HOT....that's the biggest issue with any type of composite wood based decking that I am aware of...I'm going to be doing a small landing and set of stairs coming from a new door out of my house to the pool area here real soon and will be trying Wolf PVC solid core decking..looks real nice and was told it does not get hot might wanna look into it...

24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Composite decking (for semi-ingr.)...what brands are bes

Thanks so much for the rec! I looked at the Wolf online - will definitely go check it out in person.

I think I mis-spoke - when I said composite - we are looking at PVC products...the TT we are looking at is a full PVC, not a composite. I definitely don't want something that is too hot!! thanks again.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Composite/PVC decking (semi-ingr.)...what brands are bes

I used Guardian composite for my deck. Their cedar color is a nice light brown that hopefully won't get too hot. I recommend using the camo tool hidden fastener method. The boards are toe nailed in, no visible deck screws, boards spaced perfectly 3/16" apart. Its also the cheapest of the hidden fastener systems.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.
    Doughboy 16x24 "Aboveground Inground" in progress...

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks I will look at that as well! Husband definitely wants to do a hidden fastener system. Thanks again

6. Back To Top    #6

Laurie,
    I just built a deck with TimberTech decking and Trex Railing. I went with the TimberTech Earthwood Evolution line and it's very nice.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=3d77f13dad
    24'x54" Above-Ground Pool, 15,000 Gallons https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...0&l=68648fdb22

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ctcahoe
    Laurie,
    I just built a deck with TimberTech decking and Trex Railing. I went with the TimberTech Earthwood Evolution line and it's very nice.

Great job! I've book marked to show hubs.
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

8. Back To Top    #8

Does the Timber Tech get hot?
    --- Pool Status - Ice Cube
    18'x9'x52" Intex Rectangular Pool with Krystal Clear 2560gpm Sand Pump and Krystal Clear Salt Water System
    Hayward Skimmer with (2) 1 1/2" Hayward Returns
    16mil Klear Choice Solar Blanket

9. Back To Top    #9

All Composite gets Hot in full sun. If you google any Big Names you will find issues, most of them are due to installer error, but they want to blame the Manufacturer.

Good luck I think most of them are fine as long as they are installed correctly.
    24X44 IG Vinyl Custom Shaped Pool, Starite S7M400 Cartridge Filter, Starite Sumpermax VS Pump, built July 2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, NG Starite SR400 Heater, Easytouch with Screen Logic, Magicstream Laminars, Bullfrog A7 Spa

10. Back To Top    #10

Any install issues in particular that you can name? I'm going to build a deck around my pool and was seriously thinking of using composite..
    18'x9'x52" Intex Rectangular Pool with Krystal Clear 2560gpm Sand Pump and Krystal Clear Salt Water System

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes make sure you follow exact specs of the Manufacturer. Some things I have seen are not leaving a big enough gap between boards, this can cause Cupping. Also depending on the thickness of your product you may need closer joists. In addition I have seen folks put the boards Diagonal, when you do so the joist have to be even closer or you will get some flex. If you do not follow the requirements for fastners it can also bow or cause cupping.

The biggest issue with Composite is it scratches easy, do not put any furniture with feet that will easily scratch it, do not drag stuff over it. If scratched it is more than likely permanent. The other issue is it gets Hot.

Use the Hidden Fastners from the Manufacturer and it spaces it our for you, usually the spacing is more than for wood decks. You would be surprised how much it expands and contracts.

I would use Composite all day long over wood, if I built a deck today I would do Composite with a Vinyl Handrail.

Good Luck!!!!
    24X44 IG Vinyl Custom Shaped Pool, Starite S7M400 Cartridge Filter, Starite Sumpermax VS Pump, built July 2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, NG Starite SR400 Heater, Easytouch with Screen Logic, Magicstream Laminars, Bullfrog A7 Spa

12. Back To Top    #12

ok, all of that I knew so i feel ok, but I appreciate the advice. I've done a few cedar decks and I always use hidden fasteners to keep the spacing the same. I also did a diagonal board deck once and know all about issues with joist spacing. For this deck though i'm not going to do diagonal.

The scratching worries me a bit but i think i can live with it. I'll just be sure to get something to put on the bottom of chairs, etc.

13. Back To Top    #13

If you are careful scratching will be limited or none. It is the people that drag a heavy table and wonder why it scratched that is annoying.

Good Luck!!!

14. Back To Top    #14

The deck surface does get hot. I would say it's equivalent to hot sand on the beach. Like Carnut said, scratching can be a problem. Heat from fire pits or grills can also be an issue. The heat can melt the surface of the board. Definitely follow the specs. TimberTech has a large document that goes over the install procedures. I think I narrowed it down to five or six important things to remember, like pre-drilling when you get close to the edge of a board, how far the board can overhang without support, and joist spacing, etc.

I did a lot of research and capped composite seems to be the ticket right now. Here is my parts list for the decking and railing.

TIMBERTECH EARTHWOOD TERRAIN 16' DECKING, BROWN OAK GROOVED
    TIMBERTECH EARTHWOOD TERRAIN 20' DECKING, BROWN OAK GROOVED
    AZEK 1/2"X8"X12' RIM JOIST COVER, WHITE
    AZEK 1/2"X11 3/4"X12' RIM JOIST COVER, WHITE
    CONCEALOC HIDDEN FASTENER
    SPLIT STOP BUILDER PACK 8X2 1/2", DARK BROWN,
    TREX TRANSCEND 39" POST SLEEVE, WHITE
    TREX TRANSCEND POST SKIRT, WHITE
    TREX TRANSCEND FLAT POST CAP, WHITE
    TREX TRANSCEND 67.5" UNIVERSAL TOP/BOTTOM RAIL, WHITE
    TREX TRANSCEND 67.5" CROWN TOP RAIL, WHITE
    SOLUTIONS 32" ROUND BALUSTERS, BLACK 10 PK
    TREX TRANSCEND 6' INFILL KIT FOR ROUND BALUSTERS, WHITE
    TREX TRANSCEND 6' STAIR INFILL KIT FOR ROUND BALUSTERS, WHITE
    24'x54" Above-Ground Pool, 15,000 Gallons https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...0&l=68648fdb22

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Lschaefer67
    Thanks I will look at that as well! Husband definitely wants to do a hidden fastener system. Thanks again
    Ok, to actually answer your question with no mention of composite

I wouldnt use composite either, use PVC.
    Look at Azek PVC decking. I have it on my porches. Hidden fasteners look really nice. It's pricey, but you will never have to do one thing to it ever.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

16. Back To Top    #16

HI everyone, thanks for all of the replies.

We ended up going with a TimberTech product (Earthwoods Evolutions) with TT railing. Husband is putting the deck up now and I am in love with the product and the look of it.
    The decking definitely DOES get hot. You can't sit directly on the deck comfortably and it's nice to have flip flops when walking on the surface (and we've only have 80 degree days here so far).

Once I figure out how to post pictures and all of that I will be sure to share. Next onto landscaping and patios!

Thanks again,
    Laurie

17. Back To Top    #17

Laurie,

Forgot to say...your deck looks great. I love the colors you chose. I think we may have chosen the same base color but finished it in all black. I like the white/black combo, and white facing and risers.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Lschaefer67
    Laurie,

Forgot to say...your deck looks great. I love the colors you chose. I think we may have chosen the same base color but finished it in all black. I like the white/black combo, and white facing and risers.
    Thanks!