Jandy aqualink.

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
Hi all,
I'm a bit torn an what to do here, so some feedback and recommendations would be much appreciated.
We initially decided on Jandy aqualink PDA, but now I'm a bit torn maybe getting the I-aqualink model. The builder is telling me either system is nice (I-aqualink will be more expensive), but PDA has more options and also that I won't be able to add on or switch to I-aqualink once I decide to go with PDA system and or vice versa.

From what I understand now and please correct me if I'm wrong:

Aqualink PDA is part of the aqualink RS system?
I-aqualink is separate model and is not compatible with RS systems?
I can add other jandy equipment to the RS system in the future (salt system, booster pumps, actuators, etc) with pretty much plug and play effort?
Aqualink touch, PDA, all button, all use the same power center RS?
Aqualink power center RS (that i will be getting as part of the aqualink PDA system) includes all electronics to be able to add aquapure salt cells in the future without having to get another power center?
Aqualink RS is compatible with nature2 combo unit and aquapure salt system but is NOT compatible with aquapure Ei system?

Thank you all very much for the feedback!

Sent from my iPad using Tapawhat?

Azmp1,

I have the PDA and I am looking to get rid of it. It is slow and if you have any distance between it and the jbox antenna forget about connecting. Any sort of distance causes it to lose connection. Please read this thread I started. viewtopic.php?t=57452.

This will help make your decision that much easier. I regret getting PDA but it is nice if you drop it in the pool as it is waterproof, but like with anything waterproof they are bound to fail especially due to human error. A new PDA will run you in the $200 dollar range. I will not buy used electronics at all. I work on electronics for a living and just don't want the possible headache that go w/ used electronics. If I was you I would just go with the iaqualink now.

Your pool builder is wrong. You can switch to the iaqualink if you go with the PDA. It will cost you another $500 or more. The PDA can be still used it would just be a on/off remote at that point.
Jerry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would go with a non-PDA version. The PDA has very limited functionality compared to a regular non-PDA version with a one-touch or touch controller (which iAqualink simulates).

You can always add a PDA remote to the system later if you really want one. It's nice for the Spa. Our RS12 system has a Touch controller, iAqualink, and a PDA. All work together just fine.

skylar18 said:
Out PB has been really pushing for the PDA version as well.....I wonder why. He seemed to be focusing on the waterproofing aspect of it.

I would not be surprised if Jandy is pushing the PDA or if the PB want you to have so they don't have to worry about replacing a touch system. I would stay away from the PDA. Just stand your ground w/ the pool builder. I am a PDA owner and it is really slow. Get what you want not what the PB wants you to have.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I did a pool build last year and did an Aqualink with 3 pumps 1 for waterfalls and 1 for booster pump and 1 for pool filtration slide and deck jets. My pool is a salt water pool with vsp pump and I can do anything I want from my iPhone. I can turn up or down pump adjust pool temp adjust salt generator and turn on and off pool cleaner. I love that I can turn on the heater if I'm not home and want to warm up the pool a bit when plans change. You can set timers and even other items like outdoor lighting or sprinklers . I am really happy this is the way I went and would do it again. I also built and installed every thing my self other than pouring pool deck
And pool bottom

I have the RS system. 1 touch in the house and PDA outside the house. It can be somewhat slow but not super slow. I have no connection problems and the antenna is behind a wall 50+ feet away. I am going to upgrade the system to work with my iPhone/iPad for reasons stated above. Mainly to be able to turn the stuff on when I'm not home. I still LOVE the 1 touch and PDA but have nothing to compare them too. I also have my mister system pump hooked up to the system.

Folks, thank you very much for all the reposnces. Its settled, i will go with Aqualink RS touch system, already told the builder to order it.

Also, the builder forwarded my questions to his Zodiac rep to make sure all are answered correctly, so here are the reposnces for those who may need this information for future reference.

Aqualink PDA is part of the aqualink RS system?
I-aqualink is separate model and is not compatible with RS systems?
There's no way to add I-aqualink capability to RS system in the future?
- If he purchases a PDA system with the Pool, he can later use an IQ900-RS to convert the system into an RS8 with iAqualink & still use his floating hand held. Programming/scheduling & App use will then be done through the iAqualink, the PDA will be able to turn everything on/off.

I can add other jandy equipment to the RS system in the future (salt system, booster pumps, actuators, etc) with pretty much plug and play effort?
Can also add other Jandy equipment to I-aqualink system the same you can to RS system?
- Other Jandy equipment can be added provided he has unused Auxiliaries. In many cases the equipment will require an Electrician or Pool Service provider for installation. Most are not designed for consumer plug/play.
Aqualink touch, PDA, all button, all use the same power center RS?
I'm able to add touch or other RS based controls as long as I have power enter RS?
- Yes, the RS software can use all types of interface. Current most popular set up, is a PDA to take into the Spa, and full automation through iAqualink.

Aqualink power center RS (that i will be getting as part of the aqualink PDA system) includes all electronics to be able to add aquapure salt cells in the future without having to get another power center?
-If he is getting a Purelink Powercenter (6614AP-L) then he will be able to add an Aquapure or Fusion Soft system at a later date. It will require professional installation to hook into the boards & plumb in the cell.
Aqualink RS is compatible with nature2 combo unit and aquapure salt system but is NOT compatible with aquapure Ei system?
- Mostly correct. The Fusion Soft & Aquapure hook into the Purelink powercenter, they provide diagnostics, Salt level, and percentage control through the Aqualink system. The Ei can be mounted separately & wired into the the RS, but it will only allow percentage control. The Ei unit will also not drop the Chlorine production to 1/10th while in Spa mode, so you run the risk of over chlorinating the spa.

Is auto cover controlled by either RS or I-aqualink control system, or requires separate control?
- The Aqualink RS interface board (# B0025100) can be installed for communication between the RS system & the Cover Pools motor. Initial set-up will need to be done on a One-Touch Service controller, then everything can be controlled through iAqualink. You will be able to set a reduced chlorine output while the cover is closed, and disable any water features while the cover is closed. While the system will show you whether the cover is open or closed (useful when you are out of town), it is against code to allow remote open/closure of the cover itself. You don't want someone to close the cover while someone is swimming.

From what I can se jandy lxi heater can be controlled by the aqualink system (RS or I)?
- Yes, the LXi will be fully controlled through either a PDA or an iAqualink.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.