LifeTime Supporter
Aug 21, 2009
Keene, Texas
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
Over the past years since I started using BBB I have not been able to find liquid Chlorine at all, and Bleach was cheap enough anyhow. Now, with the bleach going to smaller bottles, the cost has gone up and I have had a more difficult time keeping my pool clean for some reason.

For any of you that live in the Dallas & Fort Worth area in Texas - I finally found Liquid Chlorine (Sodium Hypochlorite 10%) at Lowes last night for 3.68 per/gallon. don't know how long it will last of if they plan on maintaining stock, but I thought you might like to know. It is cheaper than buying the bleach - you get more chlorinating out of it than the bleach for just a fraction more money. It actually does work out 5.3 cents cheaper per unit of bleach for a total savings of about 85 cents on each gallon of liquid chlorine versus the new "concentrated bleach." (based on a price of $3.00/gal for the bleach - which is about what it is at WalMart).

See this post for more info on getting chlorinating liquid in Texas at $5 per gallon for at least 12.5%. Somewhat more expensive than what you found, but at least it's another source and if they really are closer to 15% then they would actually be more comparable (though less weight to carry).

amoses:

I also found 10% at Home Depot & Lowes last year and bought some. The thing you need to be careful about is the expiration date (which I never found on any of the packaging). Without that, or even the packing date, you have no idea how long it may have been sitting around. The higher concentrations of liquid chlorine will lose strength faster than the lower concentrations. That's what apparently happened with the bottles I bought. I dosed per the pool calculator @10% and retested after an hour. The chlorine level was not where it should have been, so I had to use more product. Since then, I purchase bleach where I know the inventory turns over fast (warehouse clubs, Wally World, and grocery stores). At least the concentration of the mass-marketed liquid bleach is now 8.25% (up from 6%).

Still mystifies me as to why the pool store chains don't sell liquid bleach in any concentration around here but the same chain's stores sell the stuff in Florida.

BoDarville,
You may be right. Some of the bottles sitting out looked like they were from last year. However, there were fresh cases as well and I purchased those instead. I did as you did and put in the correct amount and rechecked later and it was just right. The Lowes guy said they just got it in and swore they were going to keep it in stock all summer. I guess we'll see if it stays good or not. At this point in time it seems to be doing better than bleach for me and it is less expensive. Time will tell.

I believe Home Depot has 4 gallon pack of 10% "Smart" Chlorine for about $4.10/gallon. Still a little higher than Sam's 8.25% at $3.00/121 oz. of Clorox. I have been trying Walmart's off brand for the past couple weeks, but just doesn't seem to bring levels down as well as real Clorox. Off to Sam's today to pick up 3 more.

Curious, is it a good idea to shock at start of season even if CC is below .5? My FC seems to be dropping a bit faster than normal with water temp only at 70. Last summer I was able to keep FC at 5 with 16 oz per day. Now it's taking more (and it's more concentrated!). I'm thinking the Walmart Clorox is weak.

tcat said:
I believe Home Depot has 4 gallon pack of 10% "Smart" Chlorine for about $4.10/gallon. Still a little higher than Sam's 8.25% at $3.00/121 oz. of Clorox. I have been trying Walmart's off brand for the past couple weeks, but just doesn't seem to bring levels down as well as real Clorox. Off to Sam's today to pick up 3 more.

Curious, is it a good idea to shock at start of season even if CC is below .5? My FC seems to be dropping a bit faster than normal with water temp only at 70. Last summer I was able to keep FC at 5 with 16 oz per day. Now it's taking more (and it's more concentrated!). I'm thinking the Walmart Clorox is weak.

Bump up the FC level and then perform the OCLT ... that should tell you if anything is in the pool.

Also, has your CYA level decreased from last year?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.