Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Found Liquid Cholrine in Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

Found Liquid Cholrine in Texas

Over the past years since I started using BBB I have not been able to find liquid Chlorine at all, and Bleach was cheap enough anyhow. Now, with the bleach going to smaller bottles, the cost has gone up and I have had a more difficult time keeping my pool clean for some reason.

For any of you that live in the Dallas & Fort Worth area in Texas - I finally found Liquid Chlorine (Sodium Hypochlorite 10%) at Lowes last night for 3.68 per/gallon. don't know how long it will last of if they plan on maintaining stock, but I thought you might like to know. It is cheaper than buying the bleach - you get more chlorinating out of it than the bleach for just a fraction more money. It actually does work out 5.3 cents cheaper per unit of bleach for a total savings of about 85 cents on each gallon of liquid chlorine versus the new "concentrated bleach." (based on a price of $3.00/gal for the bleach - which is about what it is at WalMart).
    amoses (Aaron)
    Converted from Baquaqoo in the fall of 09. Best thing I ever did!!
    AG, 24 Ft Round, 54" wall, 48" deep, 13,500 gal., TF-100 test kit
    Hi-Flo II 1.5 HP pump, AquaTools High Rate 200# Sand Filter AT3120

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Found Liquid Cholrine in Texas

See this post for more info on getting chlorinating liquid in Texas at $5 per gallon for at least 12.5%. Somewhat more expensive than what you found, but at least it's another source and if they really are closer to 15% then they would actually be more comparable (though less weight to carry).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

amoses:

I also found 10% at Home Depot & Lowes last year and bought some. The thing you need to be careful about is the expiration date (which I never found on any of the packaging). Without that, or even the packing date, you have no idea how long it may have been sitting around. The higher concentrations of liquid chlorine will lose strength faster than the lower concentrations. That's what apparently happened with the bottles I bought. I dosed per the pool calculator @10% and retested after an hour. The chlorine level was not where it should have been, so I had to use more product. Since then, I purchase bleach where I know the inventory turns over fast (warehouse clubs, Wally World, and grocery stores). At least the concentration of the mass-marketed liquid bleach is now 8.25% (up from 6%).

Still mystifies me as to why the pool store chains don't sell liquid bleach in any concentration around here but the same chain's stores sell the stuff in Florida.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

BoDarville,
    You may be right. Some of the bottles sitting out looked like they were from last year. However, there were fresh cases as well and I purchased those instead. I did as you did and put in the correct amount and rechecked later and it was just right. The Lowes guy said they just got it in and swore they were going to keep it in stock all summer. I guess we'll see if it stays good or not. At this point in time it seems to be doing better than bleach for me and it is less expensive. Time will tell.
    amoses (Aaron)
    Converted from Baquaqoo in the fall of 09. Best thing I ever did!!
    AG, 24 Ft Round, 54" wall, 48" deep, 13,500 gal., TF-100 test kit
    Hi-Flo II 1.5 HP pump, AquaTools High Rate 200# Sand Filter AT3120

5. Back To Top    #5

I believe Home Depot has 4 gallon pack of 10% "Smart" Chlorine for about $4.10/gallon. Still a little higher than Sam's 8.25% at $3.00/121 oz. of Clorox. I have been trying Walmart's off brand for the past couple weeks, but just doesn't seem to bring levels down as well as real Clorox. Off to Sam's today to pick up 3 more.

Curious, is it a good idea to shock at start of season even if CC is below .5? My FC seems to be dropping a bit faster than normal with water temp only at 70. Last summer I was able to keep FC at 5 with 16 oz per day. Now it's taking more (and it's more concentrated!). I'm thinking the Walmart Clorox is weak.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tcat
    I believe Home Depot has 4 gallon pack of 10% "Smart" Chlorine for about $4.10/gallon. Still a little higher than Sam's 8.25% at $3.00/121 oz. of Clorox. I have been trying Walmart's off brand for the past couple weeks, but just doesn't seem to bring levels down as well as real Clorox. Off to Sam's today to pick up 3 more.

Curious, is it a good idea to shock at start of season even if CC is below .5? My FC seems to be dropping a bit faster than normal with water temp only at 70. Last summer I was able to keep FC at 5 with 16 oz per day. Now it's taking more (and it's more concentrated!). I'm thinking the Walmart Clorox is weak.
    Bump up the FC level and then perform the OCLT ... that should tell you if anything is in the pool.

Also, has your CYA level decreased from last year?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes CYA was 70-80, now 50 (did a 30% refill). "Bump up" to Shock level, or just to 8-10?
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

8. Back To Top    #8

With the lower CYA, you will lose more FC to the sun, so that could be the difference. You will not hurt anything to raise to shock level, that is my preference.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

The loss of chlorine from sunlight is not temperature dependent. Only the loss of chlorine from chemical reactions and outgassing is temperature dependent.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

costco has 3 bottles of 8.25% clorox for 8.15 in austin
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating